Automatic Clipping of lines with multiple polygons

12-03-2012 08:54 AM
TrevorClark
New Contributor
Hello,

I am trying to use a layer containing approximately 1890 road right of way polygons to clip two line layers (Storm Lines and Pedestrian Network). What I want to do is to automate this process:

- Select the first polygon
- Create a new feature using that polygon
- Clip the two line layers to the polygon
- Select the next polygon in the list and then repeat the clip action

After this is complete and I have the clipped features all in different layers I will merge them together so that the storm lines are one layer clipped to each polygon and the same with the pedestrian network. I can then use a spatial join to assign the polygon (Right of Way) ID to the lines. The part that I am having trouble with is making the program go through the polygons automatically and have them clip the lines and create the temporary features that can be merged together afterwards. This process has to be automated so that it can be run multiple times throughout the year after the polygons are updated.

I know how to use model builder to create the polygons, and clip the entire storm line and pedestrian network to the group of polygons but I do not know how to make it go through each feature by itself. I can go through the process manually with no issues and it produces the results I am looking for.

Thanks,
Trevor Clark
0 Kudos
1 Reply
EricRice
Esri Regular Contributor
0 Kudos