Arcmap not responding when running geoprocessing tools

Jump to solution
11-04-2016 06:33 PM
StephanieModjeski
New Contributor II

I am having problems when running any geoprocessing tool in ArcMap 10.3

When trying to run a geoprocessing tool, the tool window pops up, but is gray with no text and ArcMap freezes. Both windows have "(Not responding)" displayed at the top title bar

I did some research, which suggested to disable background processing- this did not solve the problem. Program still freezes with (Not Responding) at the top window bar.

Using Windows 7.

Freezes using ANY geoprocessing tool

Freezes if I go through Catalog, geoprocessing drop down menu or toolbox button

Any help to solve this not responding error would be great!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Did you make all the changes as mentioned in this article Problem: Geoprocessing tools display blank window ?

Think Location

View solution in original post

4 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

If they worked once and don't now then it is something that was done in the intervening period.  This can include... but is not limited to ... installation of other software, directly or indirectly related to arcmap... a bad user profile (you can reset your application profile) ... a specific project doesn't work but others do... other users have no problem on your machine, but you do...

So can you fill in some of those blanks in what you tried and have ruled out?

StephanieModjeski
New Contributor II

This is my first time running a geoprocessing tool, so this I have not had it work properly before.

Originally I was receiving an ActiveX error when attempting to run a tool. I managed to fix this error by going into my privacy settings in Internet explorer. The error went away, but now using a tool causes the program to freeze.

Problem persists with all other projects.

I am the only user on my machine.

I haven't downloaded any other software recently before installing ArcMap or after.

0 Kudos
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Did you make all the changes as mentioned in this article Problem: Geoprocessing tools display blank window ?

Think Location
StephanieModjeski
New Contributor II

This fixed it! Thank you so much!