ArcMap 10 Toolbox will not load tools.

06-20-2011 10:34 AM
CoreyLunsford
New Contributor II
Its very strange, this. I have been having problems for the last week. I am trying to append data. When I open toolbox, and click on append, it hyperlinks me to an internet description of what append does but does not open the actual tool. I used it just fine two weeks ago. I tried to open other tools and got the same results. Any assistance would be really appreciated. My boss is becoming very irate.

Corey
0 Kudos
18 Replies
JimOlson
New Contributor II
Two of our users just began experiencing the same problem within the last 3 days, Windows 7 and ArcGIS 10, same issue whether accessed via ArcMap or ArcCatalog.
0 Kudos
JimOlson
New Contributor II
We have been able to work around the problem somewhat.  We've succeeded in using Model Builder to convert from KML by dragging the tool and the inputs in to the model, and have batch built pyramids using the context menu in ArcCatalog.  In both cases the tool's inputs were provided before the tool's window was actually opened, so although nothing is displayed, if you click OK to run the tool, it will work.  I imagine this could be trickier for a multi-parameter operation, but Model Builder would be worth a try.
0 Kudos
CoreyLunsford
New Contributor II
Well, I called ESRI last week about this issue and it took some time, but we finally got it to work. Here is how:

Go to start menu, click on default programs, click "set program access and computer defaults." You will see three options; Microsoft Windows, Non-Microsoft, and Custom." Choose Microsoft Windows. That resets all your internet settings and browsers to default IE and now you can use ArcMap tools again.

On a side note, I have to say how worried I am that ArcMap 10 is being tied into the most buggy, virus-ridden internet software on the market today. I much rather prefer a stand alone program than any that would is dependent on a program that hackers eat for breakfast.
JimOlson
New Contributor II
Thanks for sharing that Corey, it worked for us as well.
0 Kudos
PatriciaButler
New Contributor
Thanks for posting that solution.  Very helpful and worked right away. 🙂
0 Kudos
MuhammadZuhdi
New Contributor
I have the same problem. In the past I used ArcGIS 9.3. and windows XP SP2. It work well at the beginning but later I found that the Arctoolbox did not work. Also geoprocessing extention. Each time I run it, It appeared as to open an internet browser but then it failed.

Now I have been moving to ArcGIS 10 SP1 and Windows 7 professional. The Arctoolbox again work only for a few day (2 days actually). Then the same problem come again. All operations inside Arctoolbox will appear to open MdDlgHelp.htm and MdDlgContent.htm each time I clik it. Unfortunately, the htm files are not opened. so I can not see error information or the solution.

I have tried some solution as suggested in the internet. Fisrt, I deleted the contain of ArcGIS folder in users document. It still does not make any change. Second, I install ArcGISDesktopSP2. Also doesn't solve the problem. One suggestion is to install IE9. Unfortunately I failed install this new browser.

I start to think that this might be caused by virus. I will try to scan the computer with antivirus of my own. But, whosoever could have any solution to overcome this problem. Please share it to me. Thank you in advance.
0 Kudos
MuhammadZuhdi
New Contributor
Sorry, I didn't carefully read all the massage written by the submitter. Especially what corey's done.
My thank a lot and gratitude to Corey for her effort and knowledge share. Now I have solved my problem because of following what Corey suggested.
0 Kudos
JenniferGrew1
New Contributor
Thank you so much! We were having the same issue and it worked like a charm.
0 Kudos
AdelBolbol_Fernandez
New Contributor
Thanks a lot, that saved me from having my patience running out.
0 Kudos