ArcGIS query includes variants that don't exist.

06-25-2014 11:49 AM
NealHorner
New Contributor
I ran a query on an SDE Feature Class. It seems to return unique value variants that do not exist in the files table.  When I query for SymbolType = 'Stairs', all of the features that show up have a SymbolType of 'STAIRS'. This also applies to 'Door', 'DOOR ', 'Seating', and 'Stairs'.  How can I stop the "Get Unique Values" function from returning results that do not exist in the table?
0 Kudos
1 Reply
NealHorner
New Contributor
I ran a query on an ArcSDE 10.2 Feature Class to find features that do not follow our office's standard of being in uppercase. The "Get Unique Values" seems to return values that do not exist in the file's table. When I was testing this I noticed that when querying for SymbolType = 'Stairs', all of the features that show up have a SymbolType of 'STAIRS'. This also applies to 'Door', 'DOOR ', 'Seating', and 'Stairs'.

For example, the query builder says that 'Door ' is a unique value of the SymbolType field. When I query with SymbolType = 'Door ', all of the values that show up in the table have a SymbolType of 'DOOR'.

The variation problem has been limited to the case ('STAIRS' vs 'Stairs') and inclusion of an extra space at the end ('DOOR' vs 'DOOR ')

How can I make my search queries sensitive to the variations? Could this all stem from the SQL Server's case insensitivity?

If our ArcSDE is case insensitive, is that why the query's "Get Unique Values" function returns case sensitive results, while the attribute table for the SymbolType feature class shows only values in all caps?
0 Kudos