ArcGIS Desktop 10.2

08-28-2014 05:50 AM
BernardMcDermott
New Contributor

I have a coworker whom is experiencing an issue with her application.

At some point and it's not relative to anything she does or adds to her mxd, but her snapping takes longer to snap.  When she hovers over a point to snap to it sits there and spins for a few seconds.  When attempting to draw in a polygon based on a surveyors bearings and dimensions that can be more than frustrating.

ANY HELP WOULD SO GREATLY APPRECIATED if anyone has ever had such an issue.

She has attempted creating new mxd's, disconnecting and reconnecting to the db/server we are connected to and this has happened to her prior to her updating to 10.2.

Thanks.

Bud

0 Kudos
10 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Is it 10.2, 10.2.1 or 10.2.2 that she updated to?
She can go through the list issues that were fixed to see if any of the versions addressed her problem.  They are broken by sub-versions in the sublinks within the version thread.

0 Kudos
JakeSkinner
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Bernard,

Where is the data stored?  If it's in an SQL Server SDE geodatabase, try changing the geometry type from GEOMETRY to SDEBINARY.  You can do this using the Migrate Storage tool.  SDEBINARY usually performs faster.

0 Kudos
BernardMcDermott
New Contributor

Thank you for reply's Dan and Jake.

Dan there is a file for an update but not certain it applies to her.  After all NO ONE else in our office has experienced issues like this.  The only time I experience a lag in response is when I have an Address Point file turned on to very a location but that is short lived.  I turn it on and turn it off once I know where I am.  Strange issue, very random.

Jake, sounds more like an IT persons duty.  Wouldn't we all experience it if in our GDB tree we all had versions?  Seems odd!

She's quite frustrated.

0 Kudos
AsrujitSengupta
Regular Contributor III

Is she the only one facing the issue? If yes, is the slow performance only while snapping? or while performing other operations as well?

The suggestion by Jake can be implemented from ArcGIS Desktop, so IT doesn't need to be involved. However don't try that right now, if she is the only one facing this issue.

0 Kudos
BernardMcDermott
New Contributor

Asrujit,

We are not trying Jake's method yet.  Figured it is something with her machine or connection.

Snapping only!  That's why so confused.

0 Kudos
AsrujitSengupta
Regular Contributor III
  • Does she face the same issue if she logs into another machine with her own credentials and tries snapping?
  • Also, if another user logs into her problematic machine and tries snapping-- do they face the same issue?

We need to identify, if this is actually machine specific or user profile specific...

0 Kudos
BernardMcDermott
New Contributor

Great question!

It's working fine now.  If it happens today on her computer I'll have her log on to mine and see if it carries over while her's still running.

Will follow up.

0 Kudos
BernardMcDermott
New Contributor

Asrujit,

I might have just realized her problem.

She has been saving her mxds in her personal server space (network) instead of her local drive.

I saved it.  We shall see now.

0 Kudos
AsrujitSengupta
Regular Contributor III

Cool. Let us know if that solves the issue.

0 Kudos