Applying Symbology in a model (values not the same)

04-04-2012 12:59 PM
JenniferMinnick
Occasional Contributor
Hi -

I'm about as green as green can be when it comes to model building but it's time for me to dive in.

For my first project I have maybe 50 shapefiles that I would like to assign a value field and specific color ramp to however I have little idea where to begin. The shapefiles are submarket boundaries for various markets in the US.

I see that there is an apply symbology tool however I suspect that it will take whatever "value field" field and values are in my "symbology layer" and use them however there are no duplicates in values. It's ok to use the same field but the values are all different for the different shapefiles.

I thought that I'd create a tool that applied my default symbology selections to a shapefile and then would run that tool in a batch mode.

My confusion is reflected in the confusion of the request 🙂

Looking forward to any help and guidance you all can give me.
0 Kudos
12 Replies
JenniferMinnick
Occasional Contributor
Dan -

Yeah, I've been to that page and done the tutorial  :).  I sort of have a model basically using the apply symbology tool but when I try to use it as a batch I get error 000735 input layer:value is required although it would seem that the layers are there.  I will play around some more.  I'm also surprised that there is no "output" location for my batch shapes.

Do you have any other resources to recommend?  I'm really not getting this very quickly - the tutorial didn't do much for me.

Thanks.
0 Kudos
JenniferMinnick
Occasional Contributor
Another "duh" moment.  Input and output layer are the same.

Next phase is I have close to 300/400 of these...any way to do something to have them batched automatically via a model or (ick) python. 

As in apply this (very simple) model (really just a tool) to everything in this folder?
0 Kudos
DanLee
by Esri Regular Contributor
Esri Regular Contributor
I am glad that you now understand how Apply Symbology From Layer works.

Your next question is not completely clear to me. I suggest that you take some time to prepare a new post with detailed description and if possible some screenshots of your model and parameter settings. Someone might be alble to help you. Thanks.
0 Kudos