Adding Interactive feature selection to a  Python script

04-26-2010 07:51 AM
StevePeaslee
Occasional Contributor
Can anyone tell me if it is possible to incorporate an interactive selection or drawing in an ArcTool based on a Python script?

There is instructions in the Desktop Help on how to do it with a Model, but I don't see how it can be done purely with a script. I tried adding a 'Featureset' object on an ArcTool dialog, but the 'Add records interactively' option is grayed out.
0 Kudos
3 Replies
AndrewChapkowski
Esri Regular Contributor
Hello,

What you need to do is define your schema of your feature set or record set.

To do this, in catalog, expand your tool, right click and select properties -> Parameter Tab -> Click on the record set or feature set parameter -> click on schema in properties -> select a table of feature class to model the parameter after.

Press Apply and OK

Now you should be able to interactively use a feature set/record set.
0 Kudos
DaleHoneycutt
Occasional Contributor III
See the Desktop help topic A quick tour of using Feature set and Record set.  It's the first topic in a small book about using these two data types.
0 Kudos
babakkasraei
New Contributor II
Can anyone tell me if it is possible to incorporate an interactive selection or drawing in an ArcTool based on a Python script?

There is instructions in the Desktop Help on how to do it with a Model, but I don't see how it can be done purely with a script. I tried adding a 'Featureset' object on an ArcTool dialog, but the 'Add records interactively' option is grayed out.

Would you please let me know the place of the instructions for interactive selection model building because if you have a model it means you have the python codes? What you need to do is to go to model manu in model window and choose export to python script. Done.

Please let me know the place of those instructions and model. Thanks
Babak
0 Kudos