Select to view content in your preferred language

AddAttachments GP Tool Not Working for SDE Feature Classes

07-19-2012 07:32 AM
JamesGustine
Regular Contributor
I am having trouble getting the AddAttachments GP Tool to work with SDE feature classes. The tool works nicely with the same feature class in a file geodatabase.

Its not failing per se just returning messages like:

Cannot add file 'x'

Notes:
1) I am using the same Input dataset and Match table with the OBJECT ID as the key
2) the Path field is a UNC Path. I tried converting the UNC to a mapped drive....no dice.
3) These files exist on disk.
4) I have tried running the tool within an edit session via arcpy and the da module. Doesn't work either.
5) Its not a privilege issue, I can load the attachments manually in ArcMap  (1 @ a time).
6) The attachment table is registered as versioned.
7) Local 10.1 Desktop client with a direct connect to a 10.0 geodatabase (SS 2008 R2).

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

<James>
0 Kudos
10 Replies
KyleMorgan
Deactivated User
I opened a case with Esri support and found that this behavior is a known bug - NIM073706 - that pertains to running the Add Attachments tool against data that is registered as versioned.  The work around that I used was to compress my database, unregister the feature dataset and attachment table as versioned, and then run the tool.  After the tool ran successfully I registered my data as versioned again.

--Tim

Just to add to Tim's suggestion (which worked great)... You have to actually right click the attachment table and uregister as versioned as only unregistering the feature class as versioned doesn't cascade down to this table.

Thanks for the suggestion Tim!
0 Kudos