A serious problem with some ArcToolbox  instruments

09-06-2013 03:29 PM
NataliaNovoselova
New Contributor
It seems that I have a global problem with some ArcToolbox instruments (ArcGIS10.0).
I tried to use instruments "Add Xy Coordinate" and "Field Calculate".
In both cases they doesn???t work, the program gave zero (0) for all objects in all new fields.

Really, I can???t imagine the reason of it. What shall I try to do with that?
0 Kudos
5 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus
did you create double fields with an appropriate field and scale and precision?
0 Kudos
NataliaNovoselova
New Contributor
did you create double fields with an appropriate field and scale and precision?

Yes, I did everything acording the help descriptions.
In the Add xy Coordinate tool I don't neeed create new field, the instrument create it by itself (POINT_x, POINT_y).
In the Field calculate instrument I created double theme by myself.

Workspace settings were default (.gdb that gives automatically)
0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus
try it as a shapefile (precision 16, scale 😎 out of a gdb in a folder
0 Kudos
TOMKONG
Occasional Contributor II
It seems that I have a global problem with some ArcToolbox instruments (ArcGIS10.0).
I tried to use instruments "Add Xy Coordinate" and "Field Calculate".
In both cases they doesn�??t work, the program gave zero (0) for all objects in all new fields.

Really, I can�??t imagine the reason of it. What shall I try to do with that?

Should be "Calculate Geometry" but "Field Calculate".
0 Kudos
NataliaNovoselova
New Contributor
try it as a shapefile (precision 16, scale 😎 out of a gdb in a folder

This time I did with precision 16 and scale 8, but the result was the same.
At first it calculated, than gave a massage:
"Warnings were generated during processing, check the Geoprocessing Results window for details"

In the Result Wiindow it gave: WARNING 000405 No records within table.

From the Help
000405 No records within table.

Description
There were no records available in the table on which to perform the operation. This warning can occur, obviously, when using an empty feature class or table, but it may also occur when working with a layer or table view containing an empty selection set. If a selection was applied against the layer or table view (for example, Select Layer By Location, Select Layer By Attribute) and it resulted in no records being selected, this warning will result.

Solution
Use Get Count to return the number of available records or features within the input dataset. If the input is a layer or table view and there is a selection, it will return the number of selected records or features. Reexamine the query used to create the selection to ensure it is correct.

So, now I will try to understand what I can do with this error. Maybe you know, what shall I do?

It's very strange situation for my opinion, maybe I just have an error in the program settings and shall repair ArcGIS installation?
0 Kudos