999999 error when calculating field

07-26-2019 10:20 AM
JamesTchorzynski1
New Contributor III

I was stumped by an error when calculating over global ID's from my records to a parcel layer (a lot easier than manually doing it for a half a million parcels).  

It seemed that there was a bug because it would get to 5%, freeze up and error out.  The error message was extremely general.  Just a 999999 error.  After a week of trying to work around it I realized it was actually because you can't edit a feature from the fabric out of an edit session.

It would save a lot of ArcGIS Pro fabric users heart ache if that edit session error were more clearly stated or there was a way to detect that before trying to run the process.  

Thanks

Tags (2)
5 Replies
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

More informative error messaging in many areas, including this specific case, would be so helpful in determining the root cause of many errors.  Excellent idea!!

0 Kudos
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

James Tchorzynski‌ I'm confused about the edit session part.  There is no way to explicitly start an edit session in Pro.  Are you able to provide steps here that will reproduce a 999999 error when working with a parcel layer in Pro?

Thank you

0 Kudos
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

There is also this idea https://community.esri.com/ideas/8727-get-rid-of-error-999999 which we've marked as Partially Implemented because there is an active and ongoing effort to always handle exceptions with a better and more informative message than 999999.  You can see the further explanations on that thread, but in short, https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/tool-reference/tool-errors-and-warnings/999001-999999/tool-errors-... explains that the Pro geoprocessing team has changed mindset to treat unhandled exceptions as bugs so needs them reported so that they can be evaluated and improved when possible.

Thanks

0 Kudos
JamesTchorzynski1
New Contributor III

There is a small toggle on the bottom of the geo-processing tool to "Enable Undo".  That's what I'm referring to as an edit session.  The only way I can get it to occur regularly is to join a table and calculate data from the input to the target (parcels).  Also, may be something related to calculating on a global ID field.  Either way, I just check the box no matter what and if I do I don't have any issues at all.

0 Kudos
AmirBar-Maor
Esri Regular Contributor

@JamesTchorzynski1 

This is a Geoprocessing bug. You should never see a '999999' error.

It has nothing to do with parcel fabrics.

It would be for the best if you log it with technical support.

@KoryKramer 

I think this "idea" should be moved to the geoprocessing idea exchange.