3D vertical line feature, giving zero length error

01-25-2012 02:26 AM
RezaMahmudun_Naym
New Contributor
Hello

I was working with a line and a point feature class. Those classes are Z enabled. I have created a Geometric Network with those classes with Z enabled also.
In the line feature I have a vertical line whose both end points have same x,y but different z values. So in ArcMap this line looks line a point and in ArcScene vertical line
show a good length. But the problems are:-

When I click Verify Network Feature Geometry Command then it points to the vertical line and says 1 feature has invalid geometry
and When I export DataSet that includes this Network into XML Workspace Document then it can successfully export. But during importing it gives error :-

FDO error: -2147186428 [XML parse error: System error:-2147210927.[Line: 32, column: 167]]
zero-length polylines not allowed
Field is not editable

Can someone help.

Thanks
Naym
0 Kudos
3 Replies
ChrisSnyder
Regular Contributor III
As far as I know, the auto-calced Shape_Length field only refers to horizontal length (xy) and doesn't incorporate z values in the calculation. Maybe you could edit this feature so that it has some length > 0? Or maybe delete it if it is not a significant part of the Network Analysis?

Just curious, but what does this vertical feature represent?
0 Kudos
RezaMahmudun_Naym
New Contributor
Hi Snyder

Thanks for your reply. The vertical feature represent some Air Treatment Pipes that goes vertically  upward/downward to connect floor to floor.
That's why need a vertical features.

Thanks
0 Kudos
ChrisSnyder
Regular Contributor III
This seems like an issue with the tool. Network Analyst and Utility Network Analyst are still very much 2-D tools, or at least the come from that lineage and rely on those associated assumptions.

Two possbible work arounds I can think of:
1. Edit the pipe so it is not "perfectly" vertical, and therefore has a XY length > 0. In reality the pipe is probably not perfectly verticals, right? Maybe it's off by a few millimeters?
2. Edit the pipe so that it is merged with some other feature that has a XY length > 0. The final upside down "L" shaped feature would have x,y,z coordinates of something like (0,0,0), (0,0,10), (1,1,10). thus preserving the vertical infomation and instilling a horizontal length, teh latter seeming to be a be a requirement.
0 Kudos