Select to view content in your preferred language

You can no longer create user-schema geodatabases in Oracle

01-24-2019 11:57 AM
MattWilkie3
Frequent Contributor

The release notes for Pro 2.3 and pre-release for ArcMap 10.7 say "You can no longer create user-schema geodatabases in Oracle". Where can I find more information on this? I'd like to get the back story and understand why. I don't know that I care a great deal however there will probably be "it makes for better information management" principle involved somewhere and I should probably know what that is.

Thanks.

2 Replies
Asrujit_SenGupta
MVP Regular Contributor

Support for creating a geodatabase in a user's schema in Oracle
We are announcing the deprecation of the creation of new user schema geodatabases in Oracle.
ArcGIS 10.6.x and the companion release of ArcGIS Pro will be the last release to support creation.
At 10.6.x upgrade and connection to existing user-schema geodatabases will still be supported,
though not recommended. The ability to upgrade or connect will be deprecated in subsequent
releases. Please note that we have had the following warning in our documentation since 10.1: “Be
aware that the amount of time it takes to connect to the Oracle database will increase as the number of
user-schema geodatabases you create and use increases. This is especially true if the user-schema
geodatabases contain a mix of geodatabase tables and tables that are not registered with the
geodatabase.”

That's the explanation you get in the deprecation doc...

MattWilkie3
Frequent Contributor

Thank you

0 Kudos