Select to view content in your preferred language

Why is Versioning Required for One Way Replication?

Jump to solution
01-26-2024 09:07 AM
CodyPatterson
Regular Contributor

Hey all,

Not sure if this would be best placed inside of an Idea instead, but I've worked with databases for a decent amount of time and I find myself confused on the limitations of the ArcGIS Geodatabase Administration that is currently present.

Why are we limited to needing to Version data in order to create a one way replication. In my mind, there is no reason why unnecessary fields need to be added that will not have any pertinent use, I am replicating from an editable database, to a read-only geodatabase which will not be edited in any way by the receiving party.

Archiving is not enabled, versioning is not enabled, and the data being replicated is not read-only. Why is there this limitation?

Thank you in advance,

Cody

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MarceloMarques
Esri Regular Contributor

@CodyPatterson - This might help answer your question.
Prepare data for replication—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

| Marcelo Marques | Principal Product Engineer | Esri |
| Cloud & Database Administrator | OCP - Oracle Certified Professional |
I work with Enterprise Geodatabases since 1997.
“ I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them." Isaac Isimov

View solution in original post

4 Replies
MarceloMarques
Esri Regular Contributor

@CodyPatterson 

Replication and versioning—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

Geodatabase replication is built on top of traditional versioning. During replica creation, versions from the source and target enterprise geodatabases are set as replica versions. Changes in these replica versions are exchanged during synchronization. Because the replica versions are linked, you can think of them as a way to extend the version tree to span multiple geodatabases.

The default version or any child version can be used as the replica version for the parent or child replica. Several replicas can also share the same replica version.

Note: 
If you do not want to register as traditional versioning to be able to support the Geodatabase Replication functionality, then you can use the native RDBMS replication tools. Example: Oracle Data Guard, Oracle Golden Gate, SQL Server Always-On, PostgreSQL Slony.

I hope this answers your question.

CodyPatterson
Regular Contributor

Hey @MarceloMarques 

Thank you for your reply, I appreciate your resources and the information that you've provided. I was curious if I used the native tools, that it would keep the dataset together, or would I have to do something else afterward?

Thank you,

Cody

0 Kudos
MarceloMarques
Esri Regular Contributor

@CodyPatterson - This might help answer your question.
Prepare data for replication—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

CodyPatterson
Regular Contributor

Hey @MarceloMarques 

Thank you for another resource, from just a glance it appears that is what I need!

Thank you again!

Cody

0 Kudos