What would cause editing capability difference for same geodatabase connections?

04-03-2019 10:27 AM
AlexMetzler
New Contributor III

In ArcMap 10.5.1, from Computer 'A', I am receiving a 'no editable feature layers' error when trying to edit feature class 'X' that is in a SQL Server Geodatabase. However, I am able to edit feature class 'X' from Computer 'B'.

Both Database Connections, from either computer, were established as user 'M'. I have access to the SQL Server Geodatabase and personally set the permissions for database users. User 'M' has select, insert, update, and delete permissions for that specific feature class table.

To summarize: same user geodatabase connections, same feature class, same version of ArcMap, different edit capabilities on Computer A vs. B.

What other factors could be contributing to edit privileges?

Solved by Configuring an ArcMap edit session to perform nonversioned edits as described here http://desktop.arcgis.com/en/arcmap/10.5/manage-data/geodatabases/configuring-an-arcmap-edit-session-to-perform-nonversioned-edits.htm

4 Replies
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

Are you actually making connections to the SQL Server database from both computers?  I'm thinking this is possibly a poor error message that is misguiding you from the real issue.

Do both computers have the appropriate SQL Server client installed on both machines?

0 Kudos
AlexMetzler
New Contributor III

Yes, both computers are making connections to the geodatabase. The connection works, and the feature classes only viewable to user ‘M’ are displayed.

0 Kudos
PegGronemeyer2
New Contributor II

I have this issue on a weekly basis, but I do not use SDE  - it's just me with a local license in ArcMap.  Has happened in many different versions of Arc, I'm currently on 10.7 in desktop.  I use 3 different computers, 2 at work on a university campus, one at home - and I can VPN or remote into work computers.   Almost always on feature classes that I have created, or at the very least edited previously.   Have looked up about versioning editing - but I have never changed that default.  Have others seen this with ArcMap/Desktop using single license on machine?

0 Kudos
AlexMetzler
New Contributor III

Solved by Configuring an ArcMap edit session to perform nonversioned edits as described here http://desktop.arcgis.com/en/arcmap/10.5/manage-data/geodatabases/configuring-an-arcmap-edit-session-to-perform-nonversioned-edits.htm

0 Kudos