What are the definitions of "workgroup geodatabase" and "desktop geodatabase"?

Jump to solution
10-16-2017 01:18 PM
JonathanBailey
Occasional Contributor III

How does Esri define and differentiate "workgroup geodatabases" and "desktop geodatabases".

The table of client and geodatabase compatibility identifies "Enterprise, workgroup, or desktop geodatabase" as distinct geodatabase types.

In the same help section, enterprise geodatabases are described, but the terms "workgroup geodatabase" and "desktop geodatabase" are not defined.

Searching the help for the term "workgroup geodatabase" leads to this topic, which discusses creating desktop or workgroup geodatabases, but doesn't distinguish between them.

Further complicating this is the use of the term ArcSDE, which has not existed as a product since the 10.2.2 release.

So, what are the definitions of "desktop geodatabase" and "workgroup geodatabase"? Would it be possible for Esri to provide a cleaned up, concise definition of the various geodatabase types, using consistent terminology?

Tags (1)
24 Replies
JohannaKraus2
Occasional Contributor

This is super helpful and I haven't see GDB's types spelled out so clearly anywhere else (granted ESRI has a lot of documentation and it's possible I've missed it).

0 Kudos
JonathanBailey

Perhaps the nomenclature that I've used is different from what others use. What I'm trying to present here are options that users have for creating and working with geodatabases. You're correct that they're both enterprise geodatabases (you'll note that I've used the term "enterprise geodatabase" in both cases), but the ways in which users create, license, and connect to them are different. From a user's perspective, they're different animals. The larger issue is that people (even Esri employees), often refer to both of these as ArcSDE geodatabases, which creates confusion. What I'm trying to communicate here is that the term "ArcSDE" should only be used in reference to the ArcSDE application server, and shouldn't be used to refer to enterprise geodatabases. Maybe what that means is that I should remove the "ArcSDE geodatabase" type, and reference the discussion that follows on how to connect to enterprise geodatabases.

TinaMorgan1
Occasional Contributor II

you are 100% correct that ArcSDE refers to the product which provides an application server connection.  At 10.1 we discontinued that product, and received messaging to start using the term enterprise geodatabase to refer to what we historically called SDE geodatabases.   

Even in that time though, an application server service is not a type of geodatabase, but a method to connect to a geodatabase.  For example, I can have a single 10.2.2 geodatabase that is accessed by two different users...one user may connect using direct connect and the other may connect using an application server connect (if that is set up of course).  This does not change the enterprise geodatabase itself.

Sorry for the confusion, and thank you for trying to clear up this topic!  You are right that it is important we are all on the same page with semantics, or at the very least, know that there have been changes in the last few years to be aware of.

JonathanBailey

Hi Tina,

Yes, we're in agreement on that. I'm in the process of updating my blog post to reflect this.

Thanks,

Jon.

0 Kudos
JonathanBailey

OK, here's what I've got. I replaced the point:

• ArcSDE geodatabase: an enterprise geodatabase (version 10.1 or 10.2.x) to which connections are made via the ArcSDE application server.

with the paragraph

At ArcGIS 10.5.1, there are two ways to connect to enterprise geodatabases: for all supported enterprise geodatabase releases (10.1 through 10.5.1), an ArcGIS client can connect to the geodatabase via "direct connect" (this is Esri's recommended method); for enterprise geodatabase releases (10.1 through 10.2.x), an ArcGIS client can also connect to the geodatabase via the ArcSDE application server.

JonathanBailey

Hi Tina. A quick follow-on question: a user with ArcGIS Desktop 10.5.1 can connect to an enterprise geodatabase (10.1 through 10.2.2) using the ArcSDE application server. However, I'm assuming that a user can't create an enterprise geodatabase using the ArcSDE application server (since the client creates a geodatabase schema current with its own release). Is that correct?

Asrujit_SenGupta
MVP Regular Contributor

An ArcSDE service can only be created for a Geodatabase. It cannot be created for a simple database.

So, No, a user can never use a Application server connection for creating enterprise gdb.

TinaMorgan1

Nice blog, and great conversation here.  I agree that it is confusing, especially when we start using terms for multiple things.  While we can't always manage the terms people use on the fly, we can at least try to guide the vernacular.  We appreciate your effort to keep this topic clear.  As always, too, we are available for more discussion on the phone if you'd like to call Esri Support.  Just ask for a Desktop Analytics analyst (formerly known as geodata) and let them know you would like to have a conversation about enterprise geodatabases and semantics.

Asrujit_SenGupta
MVP Regular Contributor

Just ask for a Desktop Analytics analyst (formerly known as geodata) 

Well well, even I was not aware of this change! Been a long time ha! 

TinaMorgan1

This all has just recently happened in the last few weeks.  In an effort to keep up with users who don't just use one technology anymore...it is the whole Enterprise now- enterprise geodatabase data/native database data published via ArcDesktop/ArcGIS Pro as services through ArcGIS Server consumed in Portal or AGOL.  We still have folks with deep specialties though