Slow SDE Feature Class Performance

06-21-2016 07:57 AM
MichaelMorisette
New Contributor III

Hello

I've been experiencing slower than usual performance (noticeably slow time to draw as well as query, compared to similar feature classes) with a specific feature class in my organizations enterprise geodatabase.  The feature class consists of tax parcel polygons in the Local Government schema (vector_data.DBO.ParcelPublishing/vector_data.DBO.TaxParcel).  It is a non-versioned feature class with archiving enabled.

I've tried the following to speed it up (with no success):

* We reconcile, post, and compress our GDB nightly

* Feature class has an attribute index as well as a spatial index

* I have run "rebuild indexes" as well as "analyze datasets" on the feature class with just about every combination of options possible

Any suggestions as to what I should try next?

Our enterprise geodatabase is on version 10.3 on top of SQL Server 2008.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
RexRobichaux2
Occasional Contributor II

Hi Michael,

Is your SQL Server running on the SP3 update? Although an unlikely culprit, esri recommends a minimum of 2008 SP3 for any 10.3.x ArcGIS platform. Microsoft SQL Server database requirements for ArcGIS 10.3.x—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop  Has anything else changed in regards to the tax parcel feature class or it's schema recently? Are you reconciling and posting regularly because other feature classes are undergoing regular versioned editing? Are you noticing slow performance from any other dataset within the geodatabase? If archiving has been enabled for some time on this feature class, and edits have been regularly made it makes me wonder if it has something to do with your gradual performance degradation- Maybe check the archive view to see if it is using excessive resources from the SQL Server database? Might be worth looking into.

Enabling archiving—ArcGIS Help | ArcGIS for Desktop

Views in an enterprise geodatabase—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop

• When you enable archiving on a nonversioned dataset, ArcGIS creates a view on the dataset that has the name <dataset name>_evw. For example, if you enable archiving on a nonversioned feature class named streets, ArcGIS creates a view on that feature class named streets_evw. If you already have a view named streets_evw, ArcGIS will drop that view. Therefore, you should rename your existing view before you enable archiving on the streets dataset.
0 Kudos
DanielPaul
New Contributor II

I am having the same problem. Did you resolve this issue?

0 Kudos