trying to extract data from a .gdb folder

Jump to solution
09-27-2014 07:30 PM
robmerritt
New Contributor III

Hi

i downloaded a gdb from a Canadian government site hoping to be able to extract some of the data. To my surprise the gdb shows up as a folder when the zip file is unzipped. How can I extract data from this database ....is there a way to query it?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ParthaGhosh__GISP
New Contributor II
  1. ArcMap > Window > ArcCatalog>Right Click on Folder Connection "Folder Connection" >Connect to
  2. Folder GDB_Connection-1.jpg
  3. Select the folder where your .GDB file is stored. Click OKGDB_Connection-2.jpg
  4. Now the folder contains GDB is connected to ArcCatalog
  5. Expand the .GDB file and see the content GDB_Connection-3.jpg
  6. Drag and drop the contents of the GDB file to ArcMap window to visualise the data.Untitled.jpg

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
AsrujitSengupta
Regular Contributor III

If its a folder with an extension of '.gdb' (example: test.gdb), then it is a File Geodatabase. You will have to use ArcGIS Desktop to connect to it and view the data inside it or query etc.

0 Kudos
robmerritt
New Contributor III

Thanks Asrujit

I click browse for more and navigate to that folder but I cant
find any mxd to open?

0 Kudos
AsrujitSengupta
Regular Contributor III

You can choose which data you would like to preview and add it accordingly in ArcMap. Then you can save that Map Document as an MXD for future use.

Considering that you only had that folder in the zipped file, it seems that only the data was provided and not a pre-created Map Doc(MXD).

0 Kudos
ParthaGhosh__GISP
New Contributor II
  1. ArcMap > Window > ArcCatalog>Right Click on Folder Connection "Folder Connection" >Connect to
  2. Folder GDB_Connection-1.jpg
  3. Select the folder where your .GDB file is stored. Click OKGDB_Connection-2.jpg
  4. Now the folder contains GDB is connected to ArcCatalog
  5. Expand the .GDB file and see the content GDB_Connection-3.jpg
  6. Drag and drop the contents of the GDB file to ArcMap window to visualise the data.Untitled.jpg
0 Kudos
robmerritt
New Contributor III

Wow thanks Partha!

now that I have the data in there is there a way to extract it into a csv ...what I am looking for is to get the metadata attached tp points into a sql database

robmerritt
New Contributor III

is there a way to use python to mine the data out into a csv file with the end goal of importing it into a MSSQL database?