topology for lines

03-21-2016 07:46 PM
KathleenWallis
Occasional Contributor II

What topology rule can I use to make sure a water line is snapped to the adjacent water line?
I tried must not have dangles, but it flagged every end of every line as did must not have pseudo notes.

Thank you.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
NeilAyres
MVP Alum

What about must be covered by...

Be careful with your tolerances and so forth. Do you really want any "adjacent" line to be snapped to the other line?

And, make a copy of the data before you start. Validating topology changes the geometry permanently.

Geodatabase topology rules and topology error fixes—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop

RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

To add to what Neil mentioned, read the section Marking an error as an exception—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop

Even if you have a rule in place that must be followed by the majority of the lines, there may still be some exceptions.  Marking them as such allows you to filter those out when looking for errors.

My experience..When we converted our coverages to a GDB with topology we ended up with many exceptions to the rules I put in place (mainly for the outer polygons that therefore didn't have a shared boundary).  But for my peace of mind (and my leaning towards being a control freak) that we where making sure to correct anything that was an error, I felt better about the error popping up and marking it an error rather than not including the rule.  But that is me coming from the coverage world that had much more stringent rules that shapes and FC without all the topology rules.

ChrisDonohue__GISP
MVP Alum

If the topology check for Must Not Have Dangles turned up many issues, you may want to consider running the Snap (Editing) geoprocessing tool:

ArcGIS Help (10.2, 10.2.1, and 10.2.2)

Notes:

• Back up your data first, as this tool modifies the input file instead of creating a new output.
  • It will take some experimentation to come up with the snap distances that solves the most issues.  However, it is unlikely that this tool will solve all the issues, so plan some time to resolve manually the leftovers.
  • Note this point from the Help:  When snapping features in one feature class to features in the same feature class, the feature with the lower Object or Feature ID will usually be snapped to the feature with the higher Object ID. For example, if points OBJECTID 1 and OBJECTID 2 are within the snapping distance, the point with OBJECTID 1 will be snapped to the location of the point with OBJECTID 2 (and not vice versa). Use the Sort tool to rearrange features so this snapping behavior can be controlled.  ArcGIS Help (10.2, 10.2.1, and 10.2.2)

Chris Donohue, GISP