strange column GDB_GEOMATTR_DATA

Jump to solution
03-15-2016 09:57 AM
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor II

Does anyone know what this field is why it's created?

I am finding several feature classes with this field, in a postgresql gdb, in postgis format. The feature classes were created with arcgis, by copying feature classes in st_geometry format and selecting pg_geometry dbtune keyword.

Can't find any docs referring it...

Thanks.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

The purpose of this column is to handle complex geometries such as curves.  Since a feature class can have only one shape column, the storage of circular geometries must be stored separately and then joined to the feature class when viewed in ArcGIS.  I can't seem to find this documented for Postgres but concept is similar for Oracle's SDO geometry and SQL Server Geometry spatial types. 

SDO_Geometry:

--------------------

"Convert noncircular arcs (such as cubic spline or Bézier) to straight-edged linestrings. When the feature class is registered with the CAD entity mask (c), also store the curved representation in SE_ANNO_CAD_DATA."  <--- this is the same concept as the GDB_GEOMATTR_DATA column

http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/main/10.2/index.html#//002n0000006t000000#ESRI_SECTION1_E668383C...

--------------------

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

The purpose of this column is to handle complex geometries such as curves.  Since a feature class can have only one shape column, the storage of circular geometries must be stored separately and then joined to the feature class when viewed in ArcGIS.  I can't seem to find this documented for Postgres but concept is similar for Oracle's SDO geometry and SQL Server Geometry spatial types. 

SDO_Geometry:

--------------------

"Convert noncircular arcs (such as cubic spline or Bézier) to straight-edged linestrings. When the feature class is registered with the CAD entity mask (c), also store the curved representation in SE_ANNO_CAD_DATA."  <--- this is the same concept as the GDB_GEOMATTR_DATA column

http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/main/10.2/index.html#//002n0000006t000000#ESRI_SECTION1_E668383C...

--------------------

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor II

Sorry for the delay...

Thanks for your answer. It seems you're correct.

I'll have to check what workflow creates this column. Somehow I was convinced that just converting between st_geometry and pg_geometry would still support curves in the shape column... seems not.

0 Kudos