Spatial Indexing Issue

08-09-2020 12:52 AM
AdnanYounas2
New Contributor II

Whenever I create a new feature class with ST_Geometry column, It's created without any issue but I cannot insert data into it until unless I remove the spatial index from it.

I have tried the following things:

1- Also when I delete the Spatial Index I can enter the data and all works fine but

2- Later if I want to create a spatial Index on the same layer, it doesn't work. I can click on the "create" button but no spatial index name appears or

3- If I do it through the tool it says "Succeeded" about the spatial index creation but cannot see the index. 

4- Rebuild Index button is disabled. 

Any suggestion, why is this behavior and how to fix it?

ArcGIS Desktop 10.6.1, ArcSDE 10.6, Oracle 19c.

Thanks

Younus

12 Replies
Asrujit_SenGupta
MVP Regular Contributor

I am assuming that your geodatabase is upgraded to 10.6.1.

0 Kudos
AdnanYounas2
New Contributor II

Hi,

Thanks for your response.

The Client and Server both are on 10.6.1.

We are facing the ST_Geometry related issue on this Database with almost all the schemas I have checked so far.

We have another environment but different version and working fine with same data.

Any clue?

Thanks,

A

0 Kudos
DavidPike
MVP Frequent Contributor

is it registered with the gdb?

0 Kudos
AdnanYounas2
New Contributor II

Yes, I verified it and it is registered in all the SDE referenced tables.

0 Kudos
George_Thompson
Esri Frequent Contributor

Here is the other thread with the same question: Spatial Indexing Issue 

Adnan Younas‌ - in the other thread you mentioned running the Create Spatial Type (Data Management)—ArcMap | Documentation tool.

Is this the only tool that you ran on the Oracle DB?

If so, this does not create an Enterprise Geodatabase and may be part of the behavior.

--- George T.
0 Kudos
AdnanYounas2
New Contributor II

No, what I was trying to suggest what if I re-ran this tool  Create Spatial Type (Data Management)—ArcMap | Documentatiagain to fix any anomalies left behind?

As I have checked almost everything I could think of and database got all the references of spatial index but with the spatial index we cannot insert data and if I remove it all works except I cannot recreate spatial index using ArcCatalog etc.

0 Kudos
George_Thompson

Ok, did you run the Create or Enable Enterprise Geodatabase tool also?

If so, before or after you ran the Create Spatial Type GP tool?

If you ran both, I am wondering if there is an issue behind the scenes.

--- George T.
0 Kudos
AdnanYounas2
New Contributor II

It was upgraded from 10.2.2 to 10.6.1.

I am not sure about when it was ran but I guess we didnt run after the upgrade.

Also an interesting fact with more experiments on the schema:

User --> Schema owner: I inserted data into the table with spatial index enabled --> worked fine without an issue and row inserted.

Application User: Same Insert statement ran with spatial index and got the following error with the spatial index but data was inserted when I removed the spatial index. Checked the permissions though and looks fine.

ERROR at line 1:
ORA-29875: failed in the execution of the ODCIINDEXINSERT routine
ORA-00942: table or view does not exist
ORA-06512: at "SDE.SPX_UTIL", line 1147
ORA-06512: at "SDE.SPX_UTIL", line 1204
ORA-06512: at "SDE.ST_DOMAIN_METHODS", line 2023

After interesting the data now I cannot create the spatial index same problem I mentioned earlier.

I hope I manage to explain it well. Please suggest.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
George_Thompson

Honestly at this point, I would work with technical support on this issue. They may be able to help narrow down the issue based on the workflow.

If you upgraded from 10.2.x --> 10.6.x, then you would NOT need to run the Create Spatial type or Enterprise GDB tools after the upgrade.

--- George T.
0 Kudos