SDE Feature Dataset

05-23-2017 05:55 AM
WilsonCalmon
New Contributor III

Hello everybody!!!
I have many SDE Feature Class on my geodatabase but there is no SDE Feature Dataset set so far.

I would like to create a "Topology" on my GDB and set some Topology rules for those layers.

Is possible to set a Topology for Feature Classes with out a Feature Dataset?

Otherwise, is possible to create a Feature Dataset and "move" the Feature Classes to this Feature Data Set? Actually I can´t re-create the Feature Classes. 

ArcGis 9.3

ArcSDE 9.3 for Oracle Spatial 10g

Thank you all for support!

0 Kudos
15 Replies
George_Thompson
Esri Frequent Contributor

You must use a feature dataset for topology: Topology in ArcGIS—Help | ArcGIS Desktop 

You can just "move" the feature classes that you want to participate into the feature dataset: An overview of working with feature datasets—Help | ArcGIS Desktop       As long as the coordinate system is the same.

Hope this helps.

--- George T.
ChristopherMcClain
Occasional Contributor II

Yes it is possible to create a Feature Data Set and move and existing Feature Class into it.  I would suggest that when you create the Feature Data Set you use the spatial reference from the Feature Class.  This should ensure there are no issues with Feature Class being out of bounds.

shan_sarkar
Occasional Contributor III

Wilson,

Geodatabase topology is a property of a feature dataset and you need to have Editor or Advanced license for ArcGIS desktop to create topology.

If you do not wish a feature dataset you can create map topology which will be stored in the map document and not in the database.

You can create a feature dataset and drag and drop the feature classes into the feature dataset. The only thing you need to keep in mind is that the feature dataset must have the exact same spatial reference as of the feature class that needs to be inside in.

Please refer:

I hope this helps!

Regards,

~Shan

~Shan
WilsonCalmon
New Contributor III

Hi Guys,

I tried to drag and drop a Feature Class into a Feature Data Set with out sucessfully.

I have set same Spatial Reference for Dataset than in use by Feature Class.

Is there something like a step by step how to move a feature class for dataset?

0 Kudos
AlexandraDubovis1
New Contributor II

You shouldn't have any problem to move Feature Classes to the Feature Data Set using 9.3.

I think you have Geometry Problems.

Export you Feature class to the shape file and use  "Check geometry" tool to check geometry.

"Check geometry" tool is under Data Management Tools> Features

0 Kudos
deleted-user-6hoHP3U0Wcfz
New Contributor

I would export your layers into the dataset. You will have duplicate layers and those inside the dataset will have the same name with _1 added on. Then you can go back and delete your originals. I would highly recommend making a copy of all data in original format before trying any processing that you are hesitant about.

JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

You might want to upgrade to a version of ArcGIS that is still supported; the sun set on 9.3 over a year ago.

Personally, I stay away from Feature Datasets within the enterprise geodatabase environment.  The have a tendency to misbehave. 

That should just about do it....
VinceAngelo
Esri Esteemed Contributor

The sun set on 9.3 closer to three and a half years ago (01 June December 2013).  Oracle 10g isn't supported by modern software, either.

Feature datasets are the way to implement geodatabase functionality like topology.  The 'misbehaving' is frequently a matter of "behaving as designed" under sub-optimal conditions.

- V

WilsonCalmon
New Contributor III

My Licence Type is ArcInfo. I could create a dataset but I could not drag in drop Feature Class into a Data Set.

I just could import a Feature Class (made a copy).

Joe and Vince are you sure I need to upgrade to a "new" version of ArcGIS to be able to implement a Topology?

Thank for support.

0 Kudos