SDE Connection Error

08-07-2017 05:40 AM
MoMohamad
New Contributor III

I get this error when i leave my PC for hours after i drag and drop data from SDE connection

i get this error when i leave my pc opend with sde connection for hours

0 Kudos
4 Replies
VinceAngelo
Esri Esteemed Contributor

That's a low-level database error, not anything Esri could have control over. A database server reboot or over-enthusiastic router configuration could generate this error, but there really is no way for us to know the cause.

- V

RexRobichaux2
Occasional Contributor II

As Vince noted- "Communication Link Failure" notifications often indicate a break in communication between the client application and the underlying database (SQL) server which can be caused by a wide range of culprits.  See below for more information and troubleshooting tips. 

Luckily, there are many tools available to begin troubleshooting these obscure issues. First, determine if whether or not a pattern exists or if this is truly intermittent behavior. A pattern would likely denote a relationship with scheduled tasks / jobs that are running at some level.

Initial isolation questions should include:
  • Is this only one machine that is affected or are other users on other machines also experiencing the issue when connecting to this database server?
  • What version of ArcGIS desktop, what version / type DBMS, and what client (check for compatibility)
  • What is the frequency of the connection drops? Does there appear to be a pattern?
  • When did the connection drops begin, and what tasks in ArcGIS clients seem to cause or kick off the errors?
  • Has there been consistent network connectivity? Wifi usage?

Some troubleshooting steps can include (depending upon the context of the issue):
  • Run infinite ping / continuous ping from a problematic ArcGIS client machine to the server machine. Monitor the ping results to watch for drops in correlation with what is experienced in ArcMap. This can be time-consuming (over days or weeks) but is important to detect patterns and prevalence of the issue. http://www.serverintellect.com/support/windowsserver/infinite-ping/
  • Check the database direct connect log file on the client machine located here: C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Temp\sdedc_SQLServer (or sdedc_Oracle for example)- see if any additional information regarding the error has been captured in the logs.
  • Examine the database machine's Windows task scheduler- ensure no jobs or scheduled tasks are being performed around the same time as the failures.
  • Check the SQL Server logs in SQL Server management Studio under Management < SQL Server Logs - check around times of the errors.
  • Verify there are no jobs running in the SQL Server Agent (not available in SQL Express) in Management Studio
  • Check the SQL Server error log on the server machine which should be located in a location similar to the following by default:  
    C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL##.MSSQLSERVER\MSSQL\Log
MalcolmJ
Occasional Contributor II

Did you ever find a cause?

I have a user having exactly the same problem. He's the only one out of 50 in the organisation having this issue.

Every time his computer locks after 15 minutes of no activity, after he reactivates it is has lost all connections to SQL server.

0 Kudos
George_Thompson
Esri Frequent Contributor

I would start with Rex and Vince's comments on this.

It looks like it may be a machine setting since it is happening to only 1 person. If the machine goes to sleep or turns off, it would more than likely "sever" the SQL Server connection or SQL Server would think that the connection is dead and drop it.

--- George T.
0 Kudos