SDE 10.5.1 Permissions Issue

08-16-2017 05:34 AM
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

My organization is upgrading from ArcGIS 10.3.1 to 10.5.1 where our SDE data is also being migrated from an Oracle11g to Oracle 12c database.  The SDE Administrator needed to update an SDE feature class where the database needed to be compressed to state 0 and then a truncate and append needed to be performed on the SDE feature class as it's update procedure.  This procedure failed with insuffucient permissions for the schema owner in Desktop 10.5.1, but this procedure worked as the schema owner in Desktop 10.3.1.  As such it appears that there is a permissions issue when working with a 10.5.1 Oracle 12c database when using a 10.5.1 Desktop client.

Has anyone else encountered a similar permissions issue with SDE when working with 10.5.1?

13 Replies
Asrujit_SenGupta
MVP Regular Contributor

What exact error message do you observe?

Tried creating a new FC after the migration and upgrade?

0 Kudos
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

The SDE Administrator will provide more detail on the error message later today.

Why should I need to create a new fc after the migration and upgrade to update a feature class in SDE using the above mentioned truncate and append method?  I would potentially need to do this for all other SDE feature classes in the database which was not necessary with previous upgrades.

0 Kudos
Asrujit_SenGupta
MVP Regular Contributor

The new FC creation was suggested just as a Test to make sure the all permissions are in place. That has got nothing to do with this issue in particular.

0 Kudos
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

Here is the error message:

Executing: DeleteRows "Database Connections\ Default.sde\PHYSIOGRAPHIC.GEOLOGY_USGS"

Start Time: Wed Aug 16 12:31:24 2017

ERROR 999999: Error executing function.

Insufficient permissions [PHYSIOGRAPHIC.GEOLOGY_USGS][STATE_ID = 0]

Failed to execute (DeleteRows).

Failed at Wed Aug 16 12:31:24 2017 (Elapsed Time: 0.08 seconds)

0 Kudos
Asrujit_SenGupta
MVP Regular Contributor

Anything logged in the Direct connect log file while executing this?

0 Kudos
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

The SDE Admin at my org created a case with ESRI tech support and they were able to replicate the permissions issue.  The bug is noted as follows:

BUG-000107904-Insufficient permissions creating a new feature class in a feature dataset or deleting an existing feature class as the data owner in ArcGIS Desktop 10.5 and 10.6 with an Oracle database.

BobNutsch1
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for posting this BUG. We've been running into some sporadic issues, both using 10.5.1 python and desktop.  10.4.1 is just fine.  I hope we can get a patch soon! 

0 Kudos
SherrieKubis
Occasional Contributor

Yes, thank you for the post.  We are planning to upgrade to Oracle 12.2 and 10.5.1 from Oracle 12.1 and 10.4.1 soon, and I was hoping for no problems   

Sherrie

0 Kudos
DanielMcAlister
New Contributor II

We are currently testing 10.5.1 with Oracle 12.2 on Windows 2016. I know 12.2 isn't supported but 12.1 of Oracle isn't supported on Windows 2016. We are getting weird permissions issues with deleting layers, by their owner. However the "Delete" toolbox in Data Management works (will delete the layers).

0 Kudos