Relating two different personal geodatabases (MDB)

05-05-2017 01:11 AM
MahdiRajabi
New Contributor

Hello,

I am working for SCDOT on a project and I have created different personal geodatabases for highway crashes for each year, also I have created a separate personal geodatabase for the network (routes). Each crash has a LRS (linear referencing) field that needs to be related to the LRS field in routes network. Apparently, Create Relationship Class does not work to relate two separate geodatabases. Is there any other solution for that?

Thanks.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
9 Replies
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

I would suggest using file geodatabases instead of personal geodatabases.  Not that you are using Pro, but that software does not even support personal geodatabases.

MahdiRajabi
New Contributor

what do you mean by the software does not support personal geodatabases? what are the limitations? 

0 Kudos
Asrujit_SenGupta
MVP Regular Contributor

He just meant that the Personal Geodatabases (*.mdb) are not supported with ArcGIS Pro.

Types of geodatabases—ArcGIS Pro | ArcGIS for Desktop 

001324: Personal Geodatabases are not supported in 64-bit versions of ArcGIS.—Help | ArcGIS Desktop 

This does not matter for you, if you are using ArcGIS Desktop as it is a 32-Bit application.

0 Kudos
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

ESRI is moving more and more to Pro as their recommended desktop app (IMHO - not yet a replacement for Desktop though), as that is where they are placing most of their development resources.  Pro is a 64-bit app and personal geodatabases are not supported in a 64-bit environment.  Just information to plan for the future with your GIS architecture.

0 Kudos
NeilAyres
MVP Alum

Yes, why separate dbs, personal or otherwise?

Why not just one feature class, with a "Year" column? (preferably in a FGDB)

MahdiRajabi
New Contributor

It has to be like that for so many practical and administrative reasons. We use personal geodatabases because they ca be used by Access as well. 

0 Kudos
Asrujit_SenGupta
MVP Regular Contributor

Check if "Relates" suits your needs:

Essentials of relating tables—Help | ArcGIS Desktop 

Relating the attributes in one table to another—Help | ArcGIS Desktop 

Relates defined in ArcMap are essentially the same as simple relationship classes defined in a geodatabase, except that they are saved with the map instead of in a geodatabase.

MahdiRajabi
New Contributor

It works, but it cannot be saved in the database

0 Kudos
Asrujit_SenGupta
MVP Regular Contributor

Yes, that is the limitation I mentioned. You will have to relate required data and save them in the Map Document (MXD).

Other than this, I don't see an option for you.

0 Kudos