Problem to open Mosaic Dataset created in 10.3.1 then edited in 10.5.1

09-14-2017 10:11 PM
MarkMindlin
Occasional Contributor III

Hi,

We have noticed the issue:

Steps to reproduce:

- in ArcCatalog 10.3.1, create file geodatabase, create mosaic dataset, add raster jp2 to the mosaic dataset.

- in ArcMap 10.3.1, add data i.e. the mosaic dataset, make sure it works, remove data.

- in ArcMap 10.5.1, add data i.e. the mosaic dataset, open Footprint layer attribute table, start editing, edit field MinPS to value 1, save edits, stop editing, close the app.

- in ArcMap 10.3.1, try to add data i.e. the mosaic dataset, make sure an error message appears "Error opening mosaic dataset"

0 Kudos
26 Replies
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Move the content of the 10.5.1 database (Mosaic Dataset) to 10.0 database using Copy-Paste or Import/ Export tools. An overview of adding datasets to the geodatabase—ArcGIS Help | ArcGIS Desktop 

Think Location
MarkMindlin

Thanks. I will try.

0 Kudos
MarkMindlin

I does not work for me

The same error message "Error opening mosaic dataset".

0 Kudos
ModyBuchbinder
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi all

Mosaic dataset that was created in ArcMap 10.5 and up or in Pro 1.4 and up cannot be used in previous versions of ArcMap/Pro. The geodatabse is the same, If you create a feature class in ArcMap 10.5 or Pro 1.4 there is no problem using it in any version. If you open an old mosaic in 10.5 and do any edits it is saved in the new format.

You can vote for this: https://community.esri.com/ideas/13252  but I do not think it will be done:(

MarkMindlin

Thank you Mody for the info.

0 Kudos
Kathleen_Crombez

We just ran into a similar problem.

We have several Mosaic Datasets that were built in an Enterprise Geodatabase at version 10.3.1

This weekend I ran a repair on them all to re-point the location of the overviews to be an UNC network path.

This tool was ran in version 10.5 and now everyone in the office who is still on version 10.4 are no longer able to view the mosaics.

Additionally, our ArcGIS Server on version 10.4 is no longer able to view the imagery even though I added the UNC path to the data store.

When I check the database properties it has the following under the Upgrade Status...

"This 10.3.1 Geodatabase matches the ArcGIS release you are currrently using, however, database internals such as stored procedures can be updated."

Seems like a bug if you ask me.

Can anyone from https://community.esri.com/groups/technical-support?sr=search&searchId=405ec920-4acd-49cb-bf84-6c0ee...‌ please comment on this issue?

Thanks,

Kathleen

George_Thompson
Esri Frequent Contributor

Kathleen Crombez‌ I would look at the comment by Mody Buchbinder‌ on 9/18/17. I am not sure if this is a "defect/bug"  but is as designed. As the newer versions of the software are released new functionality is added to the product, in this case mosaic datasets. As the dataset is used with newer clients, it may introduce new functionality that is not available in an older client. This type of behavior has been seen with other functionality over the years.

I would also review the following ArcGIS Ideas‌ that has already been created: https://community.esri.com/ideas/13252 

--- George T.
Kathleen_Crombez

Thank you.

I have already upvoted on ArcGIS Ideas.

I just think it is crap, that running a repair tool on a mosaic would update it to the new format.

All it is doing is re-pointing the location of the reference files!

And why is there no warning message when the tool is run to notify you that the format will be updated and no longer accessible in older versions?

By running the update, our image service has become corrupt as it can no longer view the mosaic.

Dozens of our apps are down and many internal users cannot even view the imagery through their SDE connection.

I would tell everyone to just upgrade ArcGIS Desktop, but many users cannot do that yet as they are using integrated software that prevents them from doing so.

ESRI disappoints me more and more with every new release.

MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

Kathleen:

I ran into the same problem just opening the RMD in 10.5.1 (no edits) and then not being able to use the RMD in 10.3.1 anymore.  I worked on my specific issue with ESRI tech support and it was determined to be a data specific problem as ESRI tech support could not duplicate the problem.  When I created a brand new RMD and viewed it in 10.5.1 I was still able to use the RMD in 10.3.1.  So it turns out it could be the age and processing that has been done on the RMD that could lead to issues being able to use the RMD in multiple versions.

I would recommend recreating all your RMDs at 10.3.1 and ensure that all edits on the RMD are done in 10.3.1 until everyone in your org is upgraded to 10.5.1.

MahindaAbeykoon
New Contributor III

I am also going to create Raster Mosaic for all of our existing Raster Dataset. Have you configured DBTUNE file before you create Raster Mosaic in 10.5.1? This is ESRI guidelines.

"Starting at ArcGIS Desktop 10.5, mosaic datasets created in Oracle, PostgreSQL, or SQL Server geodatabases will be created with the new RASTER_STORAGE keyword called RASTERBLOB. The RASTERBLOB keyword implements an efficient transfer of the mosaic dataset catalog items to the DBMS.

Mosaic datasets created with RASTERBLOB cannot be opened with earlier versions of the software. If you want to create mosaic datasets that are backward compatible with earlier versions, you will need to alter the configuration keyword for RASTER_STORAGE to one of the following compatible keywords:

• BINARY for PostgreSQL and SQL Server
  • BLOB for Oracle."
0 Kudos