Problem labeling geometry attributes with data in PostgreSQL database

01-19-2018 07:23 AM
EliasJörholt
New Contributor III

I have installed PostgreSQL 9.4 with Postgis 2.2.3 on a Windows Server 2012 R2. I've then created a database using the tool Create Enterprise Geodatabase from ArcMap. Everything seems to work fine. I can edit, create new features and so on...

Exept one thing! I can't label any layers with their geometry attributes, like the length of polyline feature or the area of a polygon feature. As soon as I move around in the map this message appears.

Errormessage

I can however see the length och area in the attribute table or by clicking the features with the informationtool. And if I try to use a label expression and verifies it everything seems OK in the dialog box.

I'm using ArcGIS Desktop 10.4.1 on the same server.

What am I doing wrong? 

The database have the extension postgis installed.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
KenGalliher1
Esri Contributor

Hello Elias,

Are you labeling with the ST_Area(shape) or ST_Length(shape) columns specifically?  If so, this is a known bug:

BUG-000084936

----------------

Attempting to label features from PostgreSQL based on the st_area(shape) or st_length(shape) field in ArcGIS 10.4.1 fails with an error, "Invalid column data type".

BUG-000084936: Attempting to label features from PostgreSQL based o.. 

----------------

The workaround for this is to add a new field of the same data type and use the Field Calculator to populate the new field with the ST_Area or ST_Length column values.

If this is not a case then it may be best to open a case with Support.