PostgreSQL 13.x Support?

04-28-2021 06:53 AM
MichaelSnook
Occasional Contributor III

Hi All

Curious if anyone knows the roadmap/timeline when PostGres 13 will be supported?  We are in the process of upgrading and would be helpful to know whether we can hold off for a bit?

Thanks!

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
VinceAngelo
Esri Esteemed Contributor

According to the 10.8.1 doc (https://desktop.arcgis.com/en/system-requirements/latest/database-requirements-postgresql.htm), support only goes to PG 12.2+ (PG 12.4+ for Pro 2.7), so it can't be before ArcGIS 10.9.

If you haven't made it all the way to PG 12.x yet, I urge you to pay close attention to the note about "WITH OIDS=True" in older databases.  That's an ugly transition, there.  Cost me about 25 hours during a four-day migration, since pgAdmin4 pg_dump corrupts the "WITH OIDS=True" in PG 11 -> PG 11 migration, too.

- V

0 Kudos
MichaelSnook
Occasional Contributor III

Thanks Vince...so 13 will be supported at 10.9/2.8 it seems?  I have a test PG 12.6 instance running and have successfully restored my older 11.2 DBs with no problem...however it's VERY important that the geodatabase be upgraded via Arc after the restore process (in case anyone was wondering).  

Thanks!

0 Kudos
VinceAngelo

You know how it works. Only Development makes promises about future development, and Support reports the supported environments. Even if I knew the plan (and I don't), it's not my place to say more than, "It ain't there yet."

My problem was with a PG 11.8 to PG 11.9 transfer, where a geodatabase upgrade wasn't available, but the OID support was corrupted by the export -- pg_dump actually corrupted the geodatabase before the PG 12 support geodatabase changes could engage.

- V

0 Kudos
VinceAngelo

I've seen anecdotal evidence that PG 13.x (with PostGIS 3.1) can be used in a database connection from Desktop (as a non-geodatabase, without EnableEnterpriseGeodatabase) , but that this connection can't be registered with an ArcGIS Server 10.8.1 instance.  When the user switched to PostgreSQL 12.6, there was no difficulty registering the connection.

0 Kudos
SanhitaChatterjee2
New Contributor II

With 10.9.1 release I do not see Postgres version 13 listed: https://enterprise.arcgis.com/en/system-requirements/latest/windows/database-requirements-postgresql.... Will it be supported?

0 Kudos