PostGIS PG_Geometry support in 10.3

03-24-2015 06:04 AM
DSICBS
by
New Contributor

Hi,

We have a PostgreSQL 9.3.6 (x64) and PostGIS 2.1.5 extension installed. We have several spatial tables in it. We want to connect this DB to our ArcMap 10.3, but we can't have any success. I got DBMS error and can't figure our how to fix it. Is there any tutorial or documentation that shows clearly how to connect current PostGIS database without installing SDE?

Also I still have questions about editing PostGIS without using ST_Geometry (SDE format) because we have some geometry services written in .NET which accesses PostGIS directly. We don't want to break this link, is this possible with ESRI tech? I don't want to create two databases and sync them together to achieve this process.

Any help or suggestion will be appreciated

Best regards.

Alper.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Dear

About your first cuestion or comment... Have you tried with the "Add query layer" functionality? I think this is the only option for adding PostGIS ST_Geometry layers to ArcMap. Additionally, these layers will be read-only (need confirmation...).

About your second cuestion or comment.... If you install ArcSDE on top of your database and you want your layers or tables to be edited by different clients (ESRI clients like ArcMap or third party clients)  you should:

- maintain the geometries in PostGIS St_Geometry datatype.
- in the ESRI side, register the layers as versioned with the "Move edits to base" option checked. If you don't check this options, third party client won't access to the "real" layer data (so inserts, updates and deletes operations are stored/logged in A/D tables).

Hope that this helps

Jesús

0 Kudos
JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Have you read Connect to PostgreSQL from ArcGIS?  If so, what step isn't working and what is the specific error message?  ArcGIS Desktop does not install the DBMS clients, the user needs to install it separately.  Can you connect to the PostgreSQL database outside of ArcGIS Desktop on the same machine?

UPDATE:  The following is probably a better link to start with than my above one:  Database connections in ArcGIS for Desktop.  Specific error messages are helpful.

0 Kudos
SachinKanaujia
Occasional Contributor III

DSI CBS Are you able to connect using the PGAdmin tool? What parameters are you using to connect through ArcMap? Can you post the error message that you are getting while making the connection?

You should select the following

Database Platform: PostgreSQL

Instance: machine name or IP where PG Database is installed. If default port is not used then specify it after the machine name/IP separated by a comma like below

mymachine,49200

Authentication Type: Database Authentication

Provide username/password

0 Kudos
DSICBS
by
New Contributor

Hi,

I'm connecting to PostGIS both from PGAdmin and QGIS from my desktop. The real problem is I cannot edit layer from QGIS even I can add and see layer in QGIS.

I want to create a central spatial database that works both ESRI tools and Open Sources tools. Users must read, insert, update and delete all layers from all clients like ArcMap, ArcGIS Server, QGIS or GeoServer.

I tried to change the default storage from ST_GEOMETRY to PG_GEOMETRY, but there is no success to read from all clients.

I really need an answer from ESRI Staff that:

* Is it possible to use native PostGIS functions and geometry type in ArcMap without installing SDE stuff?

Best regards.

Alper.

0 Kudos
JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Have you read PostgreSQL data types supported in ArcGIS?  It contains lots of good information about PostGIS and ArcGIS, including requirements for using PostGIS data types in ArcGIS, with or without SDE involved.

DuarteCarreira
Occasional Contributor II

Answer to your question: * Is it possible to use native PostGIS functions and geometry type in ArcMap without installing SDE stuff?

It is possible to read, impossible to write/edit.

Elaborating:

You can create data in PostGIS using non-esri software like QGIS, and read it in ArcMap.

You can add it to the map using menu File->Add Data->Add Query Layer. You can filter, symbolize, label, etc. You cannot edit.

Option 2: you can only create PostGIS data using ArcMap if you install sde, then you can read it in QGIS. You cannot edit in QGIS. (you can but that's a bit more complicated because of ObjectID maintenance/creation)

Option 3: you can create PostGIS data using ArcMap (with sde), publish a T-WFS service with ArcGIS Server, and edit the data in QGIS by using the t-WFS service.

Option 4: buy an add-in for ArcMap that edits "pure" PostGIS data.