Oracle database connection

12-19-2017 12:27 PM
DanielKim3
New Contributor II

Hi there,

I would like to find out if there is any ways that  can connect from my ARC GIS desktop (Editor license) to the government oracle database.

Your help would be appreciated.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
AnthonyRyanEQL
Occasional Contributor III

Daniel,

What do you mean by 'government oracle database'?

0 Kudos
DanielKim3
New Contributor II

Hi Anthony,

I am trying to connect to the oracle database which contains all the government environment related spatial data from my Arc GIS desktop so that I can always get the latest/ updated layers.

0 Kudos
TinaMorgan1
Occasional Contributor II

You may connect to and work within enterprise geodatabases using ArcDesktop Standard or Advanced versions.

ArcGIS Desktop 

In order for ArcDesktop to connect to an Oracle geodatabase, each machine with the connection ArcDesktop application must have the Oracle database client installed.  The client is basically a translator between the Oracle and Esri softwares, allowing them to speak to each other.  

ArcDesktop is a 32 bit client, so you will need the 32 bit Oracle database client installed on there.  You may choose the instant or full client (your dba should have a preference for you).  If you also need to use ArcGIS Pro or connect to ArcGIS Server (both are 64 bit applications) then you will also need the 64 bit Oracle database client installed on those same machines.  The 64 bit client should be listed first in the PATH environment variables.

Connect to Oracle from ArcGIS—Help | ArcGIS Desktop 

0 Kudos