Multiple geodatabase oracle

Jump to solution
01-12-2022 12:19 AM
yockee
by
Occasional Contributor II

Hi,

I just want explanation and discussion. 

When do we use such configuration like the picture below ? Are they different geodatabases or single geodatabase but split into 2 databases ?

multigeodb.png

Thanks

0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
George_Thompson
Esri Frequent Contributor

For which configuration?

If you have a need for a DEV / STAGE / PROD enterprise geodatabases, then you would create a new SID for each one.

You could have multiple data schemas in the same Oracle SID, i.e. GIS / WATER / SEWER / TRANS / etc.

--- George T.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
George_Thompson

That used to be possible, but we do not support / recommend this approach. It was the user-schema geodatabase option.

--- George T.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
George_Thompson

That looks like the suggested model. 1 Oracle database (instance) with 1 SDE schema. You can have multiple data owner or other schemas in the same Oracle geodatabase.

https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/help/data/geodatabases/manage-oracle/setup-geodatabase-orac...

https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/help/data/geodatabases/manage-oracle/overview-geodatabases-...

--- George T.
0 Kudos
yockee
by

Hi George,

What might be the case for using this configuration ? I need a little elaboration...

thanks

0 Kudos
George_Thompson

For which configuration?

If you have a need for a DEV / STAGE / PROD enterprise geodatabases, then you would create a new SID for each one.

You could have multiple data schemas in the same Oracle SID, i.e. GIS / WATER / SEWER / TRANS / etc.

--- George T.
0 Kudos
yockee
by

I see. Thanks George. That really open my mind.

I was under impression that the configuration showed in the original pict i posted was for creating 1 geodatabase that incorporating 2 databases (2 databases that make up 1 geodatabase). I was using RAID analogy in interpreting the picture, ie : multiple HDDs combines into 1 logical HDD.

Thanks for clearing up.

0 Kudos
George_Thompson

That used to be possible, but we do not support / recommend this approach. It was the user-schema geodatabase option.

--- George T.