Migrate Storage Tool

03-29-2018 10:12 AM
TrinaNair
New Contributor III

Testing Enabling Archiving on SQL Server.  Couldn't edit the feature classes.  Received an error that there was an invalid column.   Discovered the BUG.  Tested running Migrate Storage Tool.  Some of the feature classes are not accessible any more.  

BUG-000106321: Enabling archiving on SQL Server feature classes cre.. 

An error is returned that "The selected object failed to draw.  Invalid Object name.  It can't find the associated SDE_GEOMETRY13 table.  I checked the SDE_Layers table for the layer_id which is number 13.  There is no table SDE_GEOMETRY13.  However, a lot of the feature classes that are visible and working don't have an associated SDE_GEOMETRY<layer_id> table.  Is there a fix for this?   I tried maybe adding a spatial index again.  Didn't work. Want to see if I can fix before deleting and replacing the file from backup.

Thanks!

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
12 Replies
TinaMorgan1
Occasional Contributor II

At ArcGIS 10.5, feature classes you create in a geodatabase in SQL Server that use Geometry or Geography storage will store attributes such as pointIDs, multipatches, and parametric entities (true curves) directly in the business table. Prior to ArcGIS 10.5, this information was stored in a side table that joined with the business table.
Note that 10.3 and earlier clients cannot connect to feature classes that use this new type of storage.

http://desktop.arcgis.com/en/arcmap/latest/get-started/introduction/whats-new-in-arcgis.htm

I am assuming the feature are inaccessible from ArcCatalog in the preview tab, as well as all other ArcGIS applications...what version of ArcCatalog are you using to preview this data?  

0 Kudos
TrinaNair
New Contributor III

Hi Tina,

You guessed it.  I can't preview, register as versioned, etc.  However, I can view the table in ArcCatalog in preview tab.   If I go into SQL Server 2014 R2 and do a select on the table, I can see it in the 'Spatial results' tab.  It is odd. I'm running this as a test on a development box.  These SDE_Geometry tables were newly created.  I don't have these on the Production database.  Most of the SDE_Geometry tables that were created are empty.  I'm wondering if it is safe to create a table using SQL SDE_Geometry8. 

0 Kudos
TrinaNair
New Contributor III

I'm using 10.5.1 ArcCatalog to preview the data.

0 Kudos
TinaMorgan1
Occasional Contributor II

All of the research I am doing on the particular error states that you would see this if using an older ArcGIS client.  If you double checked that you are using 10.5.1, then call Esri Support for further investigation.  My hunch is that there is a minor upgrade or setting that was missing, but without more insight I don't want to make any suggestions.

0 Kudos
TrinaNair
New Contributor III

Thanks Tina.  I'm on 10.5.1.  I have to be on the same version as the Geodatabases and ArcGIS Server to do administration.  I have a ticket with ESRI support.  I'm holding up development on our one server.  I'm also trying to see if I can find a solution on the web somewhere.  Thanks for your help.

0 Kudos
Asrujit_SenGupta
MVP Regular Contributor

Has the geodatabase been upgraded to 10.5.1 as well?

If yes, can you create a new Feature Class using ArcGIS Desktop 10.5.1, and check whether you still observe the issues.

TrinaNair
New Contributor III

Hi Asrujit.  Yes, the database was upgraded to 10.5.1.  I tested adding a new feature class, assigning privileges, registering as versioned, edited.  No problem (I did not try enabling editing).   After enabling editing to a few feature datasets, I found I couldn't edit.  If I ran the 'Migrate Storage' tool - it allowed me to edit.  After running the 'Migrate Storage Tool' on 2 feature datasets, with approximately 10 - 20 feature classes, I'm unable to open about 6 feature classes in ArcCatalog and ArcMap.  I'm unable to do any Administration to the feature dataset as well now since some of the feature classes are broken.   

0 Kudos
Asrujit_SenGupta
MVP Regular Contributor

I guess at this point, Esri Tech Support will be a better help, as they can take a look into your environment and configuration directly, to find out what's wrong...

TrinaNair
New Contributor III

I think so.  It is very bizarre. It would be nice to see if there is a way to update or generate a new GEOMETRY table some way.

0 Kudos