Location of a SDE file

Jump to solution
11-18-2021 01:31 AM
RiccardoKlinger
Occasional Contributor

I am running an enterprise geodatabase and conenct to this from ArcMAP using a SDE file. 

My questions: Is the location of the SDE file of relevance? Is it only read for a single session once to connect to the database or is it read multiple times during a session with ArcMAP? Currently the SDE file is not stored on the local drive...

Looking forward your replies.

Best, Riccardo

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
George_Thompson
Esri Frequent Contributor

I have not heard of any performance issues if the .sde file is on a network share.

Once you make a connection and bring in the feature class, the workflow above related to pan/zoom is correct and the client handles it.

Are you having issue with an .sde file on a network share?

--- George T.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
George_Thompson

I would say the location is important to the people who need to have access to it.

The .sde file includes all the information to connect to that specific Enterprise Geodatabase. I have seen where organizations will have the .sde files on a network share that specific users can access.

As far as I know, you can access the same .sde file as many times as needed or concurrently while on a network drive.

The ArcGIS client (Pro, Server, ArcMap, etc.) may make multiple connections to the Enterprise Geodatabase in a single session based on the need and what is being requested.

Hopefully that adds  some clarity. Let us know if you have any other questions. Thanks!

--- George T.
0 Kudos
RiccardoKlinger
Occasional Contributor

Hi @George_Thompson , I am aware, that many users can use the same SDE file. My main question is, whether we are facing some performance issues in using a SDE file that resides on a network share. 

If the SDE file is only read once and then every pan and zoom (and therefore every request to the DB) is handled by the client itself this will  not be a big deal. If the client always uses/reads the SDE file for every query towards the DB, than the additional communication to the network share will add some little latency and the overall performance of a layer in arcmap might be affected. 

So: will we gain some performance in placing a SDE file on the C-drive or no...

0 Kudos
George_Thompson

I have not heard of any performance issues if the .sde file is on a network share.

Once you make a connection and bring in the feature class, the workflow above related to pan/zoom is correct and the client handles it.

Are you having issue with an .sde file on a network share?

--- George T.
0 Kudos
RiccardoKlinger
Occasional Contributor

NO, they are working technically correct. We are just experiencing very slow performance of our ArcMAP under Win10 and I am trying to find problem candidates.

0 Kudos
RiccardoKlinger
Occasional Contributor

For test purposes one might find this scrit interesting: should report only apprx 3s for the first response and about 0.003 fo the second print statement:

import arcpy
import time

start = time.time()
arcpy.env.scratchWorkspace = 'c:/work/scratchoutput.gdb' #regEnumKey
end = time.time()
print(end-start)
start = time.time()
arcpy.env.scratchWorkspace = 'c:/work/scratchoutput2.gdb'
end = time.time()
print(end-start)

In our enviroment most registry operations are running slow. thats why this takes longer... in our case the first arcpy call takes about 500(!)s

0 Kudos
George_Thompson

I would work with Esri Technical Support on this.

I wonder if there is something that is scanning the process during execution?

--- George T.
0 Kudos
RiccardoKlinger
Occasional Contributor

They pointed us towards the VMWARE support. we opened a ticket there now.