How do I enable an Enterprise Geodatabase in a PostgreSQL with PostGIS installed?

02-12-2019 09:47 AM
AndrewClark2
New Contributor III

Hi All,

I have ArcGIS Desktop 10.6.1 installed on one server where I also have ArcGIS Enterprise 10.6 installed. On a separate server, I also have PostgreSQL 10.3 installed with PostGIS 2.4 Installed. I would like to enable the Enterprise Geodatabase in the PostgreSQL database (which has an SDE username installed with full admin/ownership privileges) so I can integrate the database with Portal and Insights. I have been told by ESRI Technical Support that I do not need ST_geometry installed because I already have the PostGIS extension installed in the database, but every time I try to enable the Geodatabase through ArcCatalog i crashes with the error message: "You must copy the latest ST_GEOMETRY library to the PostgreSQL software location."

Please help!

Andrew

0 Kudos
7 Replies
George_Thompson
Esri Frequent Contributor

You must install the ST_Geometry libraries as some of the system tables use that geometry type and it is set to that as the DEFAULT config keyword.

Here is outlined int he help doc: Create a geodatabase in PostgreSQL on Windows—Help | ArcGIS Desktop 

Configure it and report back. Thanks!

--- George T.
0 Kudos
AndrewClark2
New Contributor III

So essentially it will have 2 spatial libraries installed? Can it not be configured just using POSTGIS? 

0 Kudos
George_Thompson

I do not think that it can if you want the Enterprise geodatabase functionality in the Postgres DB. We can read the PostGIS spatial type in the software, but not edit without the geodatabase functionality installed. Here is some more information on that; Geodatabases in PostgreSQL—Help | ArcGIS Desktop

You can create a geodatabase in your existing PostgreSQL database and continue to store your nongeodatabase data alongside geodatabase data. You can view and publish both types of data in ArcGIS Desktop, but be aware of the following:

• Geodatabase data can be edited in ArcGIS Desktop but database data cannot.
  • If your database contains geodatabase system tables, ArcGIS considers it a geodatabase. Therefore, even if you are connecting to tables that are not registered with the geodatabase, ArcGIS client and geodatabase release compatibility rules still apply.

You can enable the Enterprise geodatabase and set your DEFAULT data load type to PG_Geometry using the keywords.

Configuration keywords—Help | ArcGIS Desktop 

PostgreSQL configuration parameters—Help | ArcGIS Desktop   - Look at Geometry storage parameters

Enterprise GIS

--- George T.
0 Kudos
VinceAngelo
Esri Esteemed Contributor

An Enterprise geodatabase can only be configured without Esri SDE.ST_Geometry support when using RDS (Amazon PostgreSQL Database-as-a-Service).  If you just want PG-based support Query Layers (without any geodatabase functionality) then you don't need to create the sde login/schema or run Enable Enterprise Geodatabase.

- V

AndrewClark2
New Contributor III

This makes sense. What I actually want to do is publish the database to

portal so I can connect it to Insight. Is this the best way to do it?

0 Kudos
AndrewClark2
New Contributor III

Hi all! 

I got this working!!!! Thanks for your help.

Next steps:

I am trying to now connect this Enterprise Geodatabase to ArcGIS Insights through ArcGIS Portal. I have registered the Enterprise geodatabase to ArcServer and created a Geodata Service which I can view on my Portal. Now the issue is that when I am in Portal, I have no way to actually view the data. Even when viewing the service in Desktop, I cannot open the actual database tables. Any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Andrew

0 Kudos
George_Thompson

Did you publish services to Portal?

I do not think that Portal will be able to see a Geodata service directly within the interface. Did you publish a map service with the geodata service? Publishing a geodata service with a map service—Documentation | ArcGIS Enterprise 

What is a geodata service?—Documentation | ArcGIS Enterprise 

Geodata service usage—Documentation | ArcGIS Enterprise 

Suggestions for configuring geodata services—Documentation | ArcGIS Enterprise 

What is your ultimate goal with a Geodata service?

--- George T.
0 Kudos