How can I authorize Personal SDE with Desktop Advanced w/concurrent license manager?

Jump to solution
04-20-2017 03:15 PM
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

With the possible move of our Enterprise SDE to a remote location (from where we do edits), I'm trying to test options for two-way replication (check-out adds 2 hours of validation each time).  I can not use Workgroup SDE since that requires being installed on the ArcGIS Server machine, which is destined to be moved to the same location.  So I am working on installing and testing the Personal SDE.  

Per the help, this should be able to be authorized with a Desktop Advanced (ArcInfo) license, we I have.  However, the license is in a concurrent license manager. 

I messed up and authorized with my EDN (which does not include Desktop) but I'm now getting errors.  I was going to try to reauthorize it andI was finally able to find the the "SoftwareAuthorization.exe" in C:\Users\<user>\Documents\ArcGIS 10.5\Database_Server_Workgroup\64-bit which sounds promising, but I'm not sure what/where to find the code it might want.

My Desktop is 10.3.1, but our enterprise (parent) ArcSDE will be SQL 2014, and for ArcSDE 10.5.x (although could keep it at 10.3.1 if needed).  I took the install from myesri 10.5 download, which might be an issue and I may reinstall to begin with.

Q: What keycode/authorization should I use to authorize a Personal SDE using Desktop Advanced 10.3.1/10.5 ?

ArcGIS Desktop Installation support

EDIT: btw, I have already looked at Personal SDE   and thinking about uninstalling and starting over (maybe next week).  That may resolve my problem, but I have to "update" it for 10.3/10.5 since it is for earlier versions and the actual install is slight different. Also have looked at the help

Set up a database server—Installation Guides | ArcGIS Enterprise 

Update license keys for database servers and their geodatabases—Installation Guides | ArcGIS Enterpr... 

and have a call into tech support (not finding anyone that can answer the question yet)

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Asrujit_SenGupta
MVP Regular Contributor

Personal SDE geodatabase (Desktop geodatabase) does not need a separate license file\code.

You need to execute the setup (I don't recall the exact name, but I guess the name is something like 'Database Server for Desktop') for enabling the SQL Server Express instance before trying  to create new Personal SDE geodatabases.

Note: The child geodatabase version should be same or higher than the Parent Enterprise geodatabase.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Asrujit_SenGupta
MVP Regular Contributor

Personal SDE geodatabase (Desktop geodatabase) does not need a separate license file\code.

You need to execute the setup (I don't recall the exact name, but I guess the name is something like 'Database Server for Desktop') for enabling the SQL Server Express instance before trying  to create new Personal SDE geodatabases.

Note: The child geodatabase version should be same or higher than the Parent Enterprise geodatabase.

0 Kudos
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Thanks for the reply Asrujit SenGupta 

So when the "authorize now" popup showed up during installation, I should have just exited?  The help for Personal SDE is lacking from what I can tell, and other that the install guide saying Workgroup SDE must be installed on the ArcGIS Server machine, I think the rest of the install doc is the same (i.e. I don't find a separate install doc for Personal)

What I install was the Database_Server_Workgroup_105_154010.exe I downloaded from myesri.  I do not see a specific download for "Personal".   I will go back and download the 10.3.1 version (and uninstall the 105 version) just to make sure it isn't an issue/conflict with my Desktop, but thought that the main thing was for the SQL 2014 (for Personal) should match the Enterprise SQL 2014.    

Is there not really an installation for Personal SDE ...just and install of SQLExpress and then the activation using (I finally found it) C:\Users\<user>\Documents\ArcGIS 10.5\Database_Server_Workgroup\64-bit\DatabaseServerSetup.exe   ? I think that might be the command you are referring to. 

(I may be trying to make the setup way harder than it needs to be ??)

I'm assuming you are saying the GDB AND the SQL should be the same ?  I can test the Personal with a copy of the Enterprise SQL at 10.3.1

Thanks

btw - if you or one of the moderators can change this, it was supposed to go in a a question....I missed my 15 minutes and am not a moderator in this group.  thanks

0 Kudos
Asrujit_SenGupta
MVP Regular Contributor

So when the "authorize now" popup showed up during installation, I should have just exited?

That is because you are using the setup for Database Server Workgroup. For Personal SDE, there is a separate setup file.

The Steps are almost similar for these two, just that the Personal SDE setup will not ask for an Authorization file in the end.

Yes, if you have Desktop 10.3.1 and planning to use that to create the Personal sde geodatabase, then use the same version of Personal SDE setup. 

I'm assuming you are saying the GDB AND the SQL should be the same ?  I can test the Personal with a copy of the Enterprise SQL at 10.3.1

SQL Server 2014 is supported with both 10.5 and 10.3.x, so that is fine. I was referring to the version of the Parent and Child geodatabase.

Replication and geodatabase releases—ArcGIS Help | ArcGIS Desktop 

For all replication types, the child replica geodatabase must be the same geodatabase release as or a later release than the parent replica geodatabase. For example:

• You can create a replica using 9.2 geodatabases to host both the parent and child replicas.
  • You can use a 9.3 geodatabase for the parent and a 10 geodatabase to host the child.
  • You cannot use a 9.3 or 10 geodatabase to host the parent if a 9.2 geodatabase is used to host the child. This is because later versions support data types and functionality that earlier versions do not.
0 Kudos
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

That is because you are using the setup for Database Server Workgroup. For Personal SDE, there is a separate setup file.

Ok, that was my first mistake was I downloaded the file from the Server/Enterprise download page (you say SDE, I think Server).  I'll go download the "Database Server (Desktop)" from the 10.3.1 install and try it again. 

Is it just a Add/Delete of the 3-highlighted items below that I need to uninstall, or is that even necessary?  If not, how would I "disable" what I've already tried to install (I already got rid of the initial authorization that I did in error).

In other words, do I need to remove anything else, and where should I start with the correct download?  Since 2014 is installed, can I just start with the Database<Desktop?>Setup.exe after expanding the downloaded installation?

0 Kudos
Asrujit_SenGupta
MVP Regular Contributor

No you do not need to uninstall SQL Server.

Check this location in Windows Registry to confirm:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE>  SYSTEM > CurrentControlSet > Services > MSSQL$sqlexpress > ARCSDE_License

Once you have successfully executed the setup, the license will automatically populate and show up in the above location.

Also, after connecting in ArcCatalog, if you check the Properties of that connection, it should show something like this:

0 Kudos
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Check this location in Windows Registry to confirm:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE>  SYSTEM > CurrentControlSet > Services > MSSQL$sqlexpress > ARCSDE_License

did you forget something?  confirm it is or isn't there ?  (I do not see that in my setup yet)

I see the 10.3.1 version would install SQLExpress 2012, but again, I'm hoping I can keep my currently installed (from my screw up) SQLExpress 2014.  I'm going to give it a try anyway.

Now that I have the correct "desktop" setup, I'm starting

which is more or less what is stated in the old geonet link I have in my OP.

ArcCatalog now shows my Database Server connection class as "ArcSDE Personal Server" ....before it said "none" or "unknown" so definitely on the right track now. 

I'm still getting an error with my Create Replica (now 000582), but that could be by the versions or other things, Anyway, thanks you soooo much for helping me thru that.  Definitely was cause by the user (me) thinking server vs desktop.  But not I have something I can track down and will start another post if/when needed.  Might be for a fresh start on Monday.

Again, if you are a moderator for this space, please mark this as question (not discussion) and your first response as the correct answer...the rest were just helpful to backtrack my errors.    timothy_hales-esristaff

0 Kudos
Asrujit_SenGupta
MVP Regular Contributor

The "MSSQL$sqlexpress " will vary depending on the name of your Instance.

From the Database Server properties, it seems that it worked. You can confirm by creating a new sde Personal geodatabase. If that works, then all good.

I have converted the Discussion as a Question.

0 Kudos