Geometric Network Issue

Jump to solution
08-18-2015 12:32 PM
CynthiaMatney
New Contributor

Hello.  I am working in 10.2.2 - ArcMap Advanced.  We have a sql database that is versioned.  I unregistered the dataset as versioned and the I created a Geometric Network on our Water Distribution dataset.  All seemed to be okay, so I registered the feature dataset.  However, I found out that those water feature classes that participated within the geometric network, no longer were showing up within people's desktop maps.  I was able to re-add those layers into a map on most occasions and all appeared to work fine while in the map.  However, when you got out and then went back into the map - they once again showed red exclamations next to those water layers.  On a few computers I'd get the error message "Error opening feature class.  The feature class participates in a geometric network that could not be opened.  DBMS table not found."  and I was unable to even add the feature classes back into these maps.  I'd appreciate any insight into this issue!  Thank you much!

Cynthia

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AsrujitSengupta
Regular Contributor III

Have you tried re-granting the Privileges on the Feature Dataset as suggested earlier? Did that help?

View solution in original post

13 Replies
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

My guess it's a user permissions issue and or a lock but...

I avoid any and all instances of feature datasets within the SDE environment.  This is one example as to why I avoid them; they just don't work real well in SDE.  I would suggest you maintain your data in SDE, and replicate the features you need to  a FGDB/ feature dataset that all have access to.

That should just about do it....
0 Kudos
CynthiaMatney
New Contributor

So - if I create a replica of just the water feature datasets - then do I create the geometric network within that replica?  If that is allowed - how does that work when synchronizing the data back and forth between the original SDE and the replica (I'd use two-way/connected replication).  I've only created a disconnected replication once before when we had a third party working on data. 

Thanks!

0 Kudos
ChrisDonohue__GISP
MVP Alum

Adding some of the ESRI folks knowledgeable about Enterprise Geodatabases in case they have some insight:

Asrujit SenGupta

Jake Skinner

Vince Angelo

Chris Donohue, GISP

0 Kudos
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

You would replicate to a feature dataset;  I do that with a one way replication to FGDB feature dataset that holds a street centerline network. 

If I understand your process, you maintain your geometric network on both ends; parent and child, correct?  I think I'll will let the folks Chris mentioned reply to that; my guess is it it'll be a bit tricky.  (Chris Donohue​)

That should just about do it....
0 Kudos
AsrujitSengupta
Regular Contributor III

Just create the replica after you have:

1. created your Geometric Network inside the Feature Dataset,

2. Registered the Dataset as Versioned and

3. added GlobalIDs

If the same data exists in both the Geodatabases, use the Register with Existing Data option to create the replica.

CynthiaMatney
New Contributor

Are you saying to create the Geometric Network w/in the original Water Distribution Feature Dataset that is in the SDE?  And then when I create the replica from that dataset - I would have everyone use the replica vs the original feature dataset? 

0 Kudos
JerryGarcia1
Occasional Contributor II

This is the answer. Had the same problem, just needed to re grant permission. 

0 Kudos
AsrujitSengupta
Regular Contributor III

Have you tried re-granting the Privileges on the Feature Dataset as suggested earlier? Did that help?

CynthiaMatney
New Contributor

On the original feature dataset within the SDE?  I had checked after I initially had the lock out issues after adding the Geometric Network and it wasn't showing that any of the permissions/privileges had been changed.  I ended up having to delete the Geometric Network I had created w/in the Water Distribution Feature Dataset (in the SDE) in order for my crews to be able to once again view and utilize all the feature classes w/in that dataset.  Once I deleted the Geometric Network - access was back to normal for all users. 

0 Kudos