Failed to connect to the specified server

Jump to solution
12-07-2017 06:35 AM
JamesJudge
New Contributor II

After restoring a SQL database I cannot connect to the restored DB from ArcCatlog 10.4.1 I am receiving this error message

Failed to connect to the specified server. Do you want to continue? Operation Failed

I've tried connecting as OSA and Database user. Also with SQL manager I have compared that the restored DB has the same uses and roles as our existing databases.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
George_Thompson
Esri Frequent Contributor

Did you change the name when you restored the DB? 

No matter which of the methods you use to move your SQL Server database, you cannot rename the database. When you restore a database, for example, you are given the opportunity to restore it with a different name. Don't do this with a geodatabase; you won't be able to connect to it.

Methods to move a geodatabase in SQL Server—Help | ArcGIS Desktop 

--- George T.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
George_Thompson
Esri Frequent Contributor

Did you change the name when you restored the DB? 

No matter which of the methods you use to move your SQL Server database, you cannot rename the database. When you restore a database, for example, you are given the opportunity to restore it with a different name. Don't do this with a geodatabase; you won't be able to connect to it.

Methods to move a geodatabase in SQL Server—Help | ArcGIS Desktop 

--- George T.
JamesJudge
New Contributor II

Thank you

TinaMorgan1
Occasional Contributor II

This thread is a bit older, but wanted to add a tid bit from a case I just got.  

If you happen to rename the database in SQL Server, and do not remember the original geodatabase name, you can check that in the database_name column of your sde_table_registry table.  That table hard codes the name of the database as it was when the geodatabase was created.

0 Kudos