Editor Tracking & Related Table Inheritance?

Jump to solution
07-01-2022 06:42 AM
Labels (1)
ZacharyHart
Occasional Contributor III

When editor tracking is enabled on both a parent and related child object, should it be the case that when editing the parent object/table that the updated editor tracking should be reflected in the related table?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Should it? I would say no. Let's say I had a layer of utility poles, and related layers of the things attached to these poles. If I make a minor update to one of the pole's attributes or correct its position, I do not want this action to overwrite the "last edited by" information in all the related features.

I want to know who last edited a specific transformer, so I need to be assured that this isn't showing me who last edited something else that happens to be related to the transformer.

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS

View solution in original post

6 Replies
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Should it? I would say no. Let's say I had a layer of utility poles, and related layers of the things attached to these poles. If I make a minor update to one of the pole's attributes or correct its position, I do not want this action to overwrite the "last edited by" information in all the related features.

I want to know who last edited a specific transformer, so I need to be assured that this isn't showing me who last edited something else that happens to be related to the transformer.

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
ZacharyHart

This makes good sense, thank you!

0 Kudos
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I should say, though, that if you're interested in finding out the last-edited element anywhere in the chain of related items, you could do that with Arcade. I do use this for a particular dataset for complaints and investigations, where a manager may want to see what the most recent edit was for a given complaint. The expression can return something like "Most recent edit: Violations table, Jun 21, 2022 10:24 AM".

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
ZacharyHart

I'm intrigued if you are willing to share more.

0 Kudos
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Already posted about it! Just had to track down the link.

https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-online-blog/show-the-most-recent-edit-across-multiple-tables/ba...

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
ZacharyHart

thanks so much! This is a great write-up!

0 Kudos