Duplicate Geodatabase layers "H"

Jump to solution
02-08-2022 02:34 PM
ZJKosel
New Contributor III

I was exporting several layers within a Geodatabase connection from one FeatureDataset to another when I noticed several duplicates layers were being created within the geodatabase, but outside of any Feature Dataset. The layers seem to be identical aside from the duplicates including an "_H" at the end of each of their names. When I exported some layers yesterday I did not have this issue. I'm wondering what would cause this problem and whether I could safely delete the duplicates with the "_H" title.

Thanks, 

ZJK

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DanaNolan
Occasional Contributor III

Those are historical archive files. They are a copy of the data with some extra archival fields. Some of the features must have archiving set to on. I believe if you turn off versioning and archiving in the correct order before deleting files, they won't appear. But that is not trivial nor necessary. I usually keep for a few weeks, as data backups, then delete. If your organization is not using the archiving feature, it could be turned off and you won't see these H files again.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
DanaNolan
Occasional Contributor III

Those are historical archive files. They are a copy of the data with some extra archival fields. Some of the features must have archiving set to on. I believe if you turn off versioning and archiving in the correct order before deleting files, they won't appear. But that is not trivial nor necessary. I usually keep for a few weeks, as data backups, then delete. If your organization is not using the archiving feature, it could be turned off and you won't see these H files again.

ZJKosel
New Contributor III

Thank you for the explanation!

- ZJK

0 Kudos