Domains and subtypes

Jump to solution
05-17-2018 11:56 AM
SLouq
by MVP Regular Contributor
MVP Regular Contributor

I am trying to figure out how to get this reference guide into a feature class. I think I need to create a domain and subtype but am not quite sure. Here is one of the spreadsheets I am trying to enter into a feature class

This is only part of the reference guide I am trying to enter. The rest of it can be entered as fields

Can someone help me solve this

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JonathanFarmer_oldaccount
Occasional Contributor III

Hi Joe,

Both really. You could add all the data in that spreadsheet as fields in the feature class if that is what you wanted. Or you could create a table with this contact information and relate it to your facilities feature class. It depends on a number of things as to why you might choose one or the other. But they are both valid.

Jonathan

View solution in original post

5 Replies

Hi Scott,

It may be hard to answer this question without a little more background information on what your end goal is here. Subtypes allow you to categorize features within a feature class that share the same attributes. For a given subtype, you could have either a range or coded value domain associated with it.

For example, I could have a subtype of my Water Lines feature class called Copper. For a copper line, I could have a range domain that specifies the pressure allowed in that line, say 20-30 PSI or something. You get the idea.

In this case, it depends on how you want people to work with this data? Subtypes and domains are great for workflows that involve heavy editing by many editors in order to cut down on data entry errors. Is that something that will happen in your case? Given the screen shot you attached, I could see something like a Facilities feature class with a field called Facility Contact. Facility Contact would be the subtype and maybe a coded value domain is put in place listing out the 5 types of facility contacts. You'd have to play around with it to see what works best.

More information on subtypes and domains here: Introduction to subtypes—Geodatabases | ArcGIS Desktop 

Hope this helps and let me know if you have any questions for me.

Jonathan

JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

Can these data simply be part of the feature class attribute table?  Or, can you use them as a related table?  

That should just about do it....
0 Kudos

Hi Joe,

Both really. You could add all the data in that spreadsheet as fields in the feature class if that is what you wanted. Or you could create a table with this contact information and relate it to your facilities feature class. It depends on a number of things as to why you might choose one or the other. But they are both valid.

Jonathan

SLouq
by MVP Regular Contributor
MVP Regular Contributor

Hi Johnathon,

As it turns out, I didn't have to create Domains and Subtypes to solve my query. I just had to do exactly what you are describing. Just create an Excel spreadsheet from the information provided to me and then add the Lat and Long to each entry to geocode them and create a feature class.

hanks everyone for the replies!

0 Kudos
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

Those were rhetorical rather than literal questions.....  

That should just about do it....