Does ESRI database support SQL Server 2017

Jump to solution
02-01-2018 12:18 PM
ShuhongYan
New Contributor III

Our company plans to upgrade SQL Server from 2016 to 2017. Does SQL server 2017 support ESRI database? We are using ArcGIS Desktop 10.5+

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
8 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus
0 Kudos
SharonGin2
Esri Contributor

Will setting the SQL Server compatibility level to 13 on an SQL Server 2017 make ArcGIS Desktop 10.5.1 able to connect to the DB? Link for details on SQL Server compatibility level: ALTER DATABASE Compatibility Level (Transact-SQL) | Microsoft Docs 

0 Kudos
Asrujit_SenGupta
MVP Regular Contributor

ArcSDE / SQL Server compatibility level 

Connection should not be a problem. However, I am not completely sure if that may lead to any inconsistent behavior at a later point.

0 Kudos
SharonGin2
Esri Contributor

I would actually need to connect and set up replication across to the SQL 2017 database where parent is an SQL 2012. And my Geodatabase version is still at 10.2.2. Not sure if there will be issues in terms of Geodatabase versions and SQL version as well. Would you have any advice on that?

0 Kudos
Asrujit_SenGupta
MVP Regular Contributor

I would check with Esri, if they have plans to certify ArcGIS 10.5.x with SQL Server 2017. That would take care of this compatibility issue. Looking at previous trends, I expect that to happen.

By any chance, do you have ArcGIS Desktop 10.6 accessible to you?

0 Kudos
Asrujit_SenGupta
MVP Regular Contributor

Sharon Gin‌ It seems Esri now supports SQL Server 2017 with ArcGIS 10.5.x So just in case this helps!

Microsoft SQL Server database requirements for ArcGIS 10.5.x—System Requirements | ArcGIS Desktop 

0 Kudos
Asrujit_SenGupta
MVP Regular Contributor