direct connect to ArcSDE using postgresql doesn't work

Jump to solution
04-27-2011 07:56 AM
SebastianBrocks
New Contributor
Hi,

I'm having a problem with the direct connection using the "sde:postgresql:servername" entry as the service in ArcCatalog.
As far as I can tell, the entered info is all correct, and connection via the sde service works with the same usernames and passwords, but I get the "Bad login user" error message when trying the direct connection. pg_hba.conf is also set up correctly, I can for example directly connect to the database across the network using pgAdmin.
Does anyone have an idea what might cause this?
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
tKasiaTuszynska
New Contributor III
Sebastian,
The "bad login user" error is an hba issue.
If you think that the entries in your hba are correct than it might be a refresh issue, was the pg service restarted after the hba change? Was the client app restarted after the change?

- check what the pg error log says, often it gives very good indication of the problem
- possible problems:
      - your network has both ipv4 and ipv6 addresses and you need a entry for both
      - your authentication method is not appropriate  
      - some silly spelling mistake

Sincerely,
Kasia

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
DerekLaw
Esri Esteemed Contributor
Hi Sebastian,

Q) What OS are you using for your ArcSDE geodatabase on PostgreSQL?

If it's Red Hat Linux (RHEL) 5 or SUSE 10, please review this KnowledgeBase Article:

KB #38606 - HowTo: Make a Direct Connection from ArcGIS Server or ArcGIS Engine Runtime on SUSE to A...

Hope this helps,
0 Kudos
SebastianBrocks
New Contributor
Hi Sebastian,

Q) What OS are you using for your ArcSDE geodatabase on PostgreSQL?

If it's Red Hat Linux (RHEL) 5 or SUSE 10, please review this KnowledgeBase Article:
Hope this helps,

It's Windows Server 2008, so that doesn't help, I'm afraid.
0 Kudos
DerekLaw
Esri Esteemed Contributor
Hi Sebastian,

It's Windows Server 2008, so that doesn't help, I'm afraid.

Please review this KnowledgeBase Article:

KB #29585 - Error: Bad Login User

Hope this helps,
0 Kudos
SebastianBrocks
New Contributor
Hi Sebastian,

Please review this KnowledgeBase Article:

KB #29585 - Error: Bad Login User

Hope this helps,

I have reviewed it, and it doesn't help.
Does direct connect only work with operation system authentification?
0 Kudos
tKasiaTuszynska
New Contributor III
Sebastian,
The "bad login user" error is an hba issue.
If you think that the entries in your hba are correct than it might be a refresh issue, was the pg service restarted after the hba change? Was the client app restarted after the change?

- check what the pg error log says, often it gives very good indication of the problem
- possible problems:
      - your authentication method is not appropriate  
      - some silly spelling mistake

Sincerely,
Kasia
0 Kudos
SebastianBrocks
New Contributor

Thank you, this was the problem.
0 Kudos
mattwilkie
Occasional Contributor III

I fought with this for hours. In the end the only thing that worked for me was to comment out both ipv4 and v6 and just open the gate completely:

host all         all         all         md5

I note there is a discrepancy in syntax between Postgres and Esri docs for ipv6 that may come in to play. Compare the suffixes, "%10/n" vs "/n":

[Esri] To allow any machines with an address beginning with fe60 to connect, you would add this line to the pg_hba.conf file:

host all all fe60::0000:0000:0000:0000%10/8 md5

[Postgres] An IPv6 address range might look like ::1/128 for a single host (in this case the IPv6 loopback address) or fe80::7a31:c1ff:0000:0000/96 for a small network.

0 Kudos
tKasiaTuszynska
New Contributor III

Matt,

not sure what you mean by comment out the entries for ipv4 and ipv6 completely?Do the settings below work?

- first row for ipv4

- second for ipv6

this is opening ipv4 and ipv6 wide open....

hostall         all         0.0.0.0/0         

md5

hostallall::/0md5

Kasia

0 Kudos