Database space is limited....Could not allocate space for object...PRIMARY file group is full

Jump to solution
12-20-2016 04:53 PM
RandallClark2
Occasional Contributor II

So i got this error when reconciling against my DEFAULT state of my database.

After some research i came across a few blogs that pointed me to A) look at the hard drive and make sure i have room (i do) and then B) check my database properties and make sure that my primary filegroup max size was big enough (it was set to unlimited and the auto growth was turned on and set to grow by 10 percent. just to be safe i upped to 100 percent). 

So since those dont seem to be the cause of the problem...anyone have any ideas?

i am using a enterprise geodatabse on a SQL express 2014 server instance.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Asrujit_SenGupta
MVP Regular Contributor

SQL Server Express edition has a size limit of 10GB per Database. This is a SQL Server feature and limitation.

This is applicable for all SDE geodatabases (Personal, Workgroup and Enterprise).

SQL Server Express - Wikipedia 

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Asrujit_SenGupta
MVP Regular Contributor

SQL Server Express edition has a size limit of 10GB per Database. This is a SQL Server feature and limitation.

This is applicable for all SDE geodatabases (Personal, Workgroup and Enterprise).

SQL Server Express - Wikipedia 

RandallClark2
Occasional Contributor II

Ok . Good to know. I think I know what the table in n my database is that is a problem but can I check and see what the offending table is?

and I'm guessing the only way to make sure this doesn't happen in the future is to migrate to a sql server or PostgresSQL

0 Kudos
Asrujit_SenGupta
MVP Regular Contributor

Yes, you can go for SQL Server Standard or Enterprise edition, which do not have this space limit.

For an approximate idea, related to which Table is consuming space in the database, you can check if the below links help (I am not sure how accurate these are, so you'll have to test and check which one works best):

sql server - Get size of all tables in database - Stack Overflow 

How can you tell what Tables are taking up the most space in a SQL Server 2005 Database? - Stack Ove... 

0 Kudos