Create Replica Timeout

01-04-2018 09:56 AM
MKa
by
Occasional Contributor III

We have a number of users and all of them seem to be failing when trying to create a replica on our ArcGIS server.  Currenly we have about 150 checkout replicas on our server.  Users are able to sync their changes in time, but it seems that the majority of users are getting pushed out after 5 minutes.  This happens both in code using the CreateReplica method in arcobjects and when creating a replica manually through arccatalog.  These replicas are made using an attribute query.  We have changed all of the server configurations we can think of, but nothing seems to work.

In the past, we have had too many replicas and would remove them using the "manage replicas" option, but this doesn't seem like the solution to the underlying problem.

The create replica usually would take about 2 minutes to create on the server, but now it is taking >5 minutes and causing the timeout.  The timeout helped us determine there was a problem, but we cant figure out why the replication is taking so long?

Please help as this is in our production environment.

We are running ArcGIS Server 10.5.1 and creating Checkout FileGDBs through code/manually

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Asrujit_SenGupta
MVP Regular Contributor

If this is the Production Environment, you should be contacting the Esri Technical Support for immediate assistance, instead of a Public forum.

0 Kudos
MKa
by

I put it here because maybe another user had this issue or in the future it could help someone else?  I am in the process of contacting support.  Now after your comment, no one will respond.  I like to put my issues on here to help further the discussion and get some fixes out there for people with the same issues.  

However, back to the problem, it appears to maybe having something to do with the Versions of the Replicas building up over time and not being cleaned up.  I wonder if this has to do with some Replicas failing during creation, syncing, or unregistering.  I have gone and cleaned these up through GeoDatabase Administration-->Versions.  I also cleaned up the replicas through Manage Replicas.

However, it still seems that it takes around 3 minutes to create a replica on the Server?  This seems like quite a bit of time.

This issue is in my Test environment now

Matt

0 Kudos
Asrujit_SenGupta
MVP Regular Contributor

My above comment was considering the below statement in your original post:

Please help as this is in our production environment.

Considering it is a Performance issue now and not failing anymore, you should maybe look into ways of improving performance:

1. Reconcile\Post all existing versions and delete them

2. Try and perform a Full Compress

3. Analyze\Calculate Statistics\Rebuild Indexes are some other options to look into.

Check if these help.

MKa
by

I will try this and get back to you with the results and my procedure I ran.  Thank you for the immediate help.

0 Kudos
MKa
by

So I think your steps have improved my speed somewhat.  But i am still experiencing times of around 3 minutes to create a replica on the server and then create the version from that.  Is there anything else I can do to speed this up.  In my arcobjects code is simply use the Create Replica method that returns the IGDSData that I am able to quickly import once it is returned.  The problem being the time of the server processing the command.

By looking at the tables GDB_ITEMS and SDE_versions after I call CreateReplica, I see that the replica is created in about 20-30 seconds, but the version in SDE_versions seems to take about 1.5-2 minutes to make.  After that version is created, my code very quickly imports the data in about 10 seconds. Does this seem normal?  

0 Kudos
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

Have you considered your network could be the problem?  You may be creating your replica(s) in time, but not getting the child feature class to the respective geodatabase(s) in time.  Just a thought....

That should just about do it....
0 Kudos
MKa
by

I have thought about the network, but I am in the same room as the ArcGis Server and DB. That minute to create the version file is killing me. I use the embedded option and I don’t think there is anything else I can do on the client side. I was wondering if there is a server or database configuration I am missing. 

Dies anyone one else have to do this offline replication and download. What speeds should I expect?

0 Kudos
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

Okay, same room or across town, still has to go through a network.  Where are your you replicas written to?  Local C: drives or network shared drives?  I'm only tossing this out because I've gone the rounds with both ESRI and our Network guys. The finger pointing is much like what goes on in Washington DC these days.  Chances are your server is a VM.  Since they've hit the scene, I've noticed a performance hit...

That should just about do it....
0 Kudos
Todd_Metzler

We have also had problems with replica timeouts in our distributed enterprise (NOT check out) comprised of Microsoft SQL server v2012R2 configured as an HA cluster.  Here's what has helped so far. (1) Open a case with Esri tech support and keep it open until you are satisfied; (2) Provide your entire database to Esri for performance analysis evaluation and recommendations; (3) Involve the storage hardware and network teams and have them evaluate the performance of their components [and control the finger pointing :-)].  We haven't solved our problems yet either.  But the above actions have made things better.