Select to view content in your preferred language

Create Multiple SDE owned Geodatabases

Jump to solution
03-01-2024 11:28 AM
CodyPatterson
Regular Contributor

Hey All,

We're currently in the process of moving a lot of data around our company, and we would like to have a single SQL Server, that hosts multiple Geodatabases. I have attempted to create a Geodatabase that is owned by the SDE user, and I get this error here:

Cannot remap user to login 'sde', because the login is already mapped to a user in the database<Database>

I was curious if there were any way around this? I can't imagine that the SDE user would be restricted to a single Geodatabase.

Thanks in advance!

Cody

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MarceloMarques
Esri Regular Contributor

@CodyPatterson - in the database the "sde" user must be mapped to a schema named "sde", and the "sde" user must be mapped to a login named "sde". As you can see those 3 things must have the same name.

You can use "Contained Users" this way you do not need to create external Logins anymore. With Container Users the "sde" user can have a different password in each database, to achive this with Login you need to first map the "sde" user to the "sde" login, create the sde repository, then create a login e.g. "sde_<dbname>" and in the database map the "sde" user to the external login "sde_<dbname>", hence each login "sde_<dbname>" can have a different password.

For more best practices visit my community.esri.com blog below.

Mapping and Charting Solutions (MCS) Enterprise Da... - Esri Community

There you will find my database guide books and database template scripts for SQL Server, you can use the Production Mapping, those are generic and can be applied to any industry.

FAQ - Frequent Asked Questions

How Load Large Featureclass SQL Server Geodatabase
How to Move the SQL Server Enterprise Geodatabase with a database backup
How to Install Database Clients for ArcGIS
How to Install the SQL Server Client for ArcGIS?

I hope this helps.

| Marcelo Marques | Principal Product Engineer | Esri |
| Cloud & Database Administrator | OCP - Oracle Certified Professional |
I work with Enterprise Geodatabases since 1997.
“ I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them." Isaac Isimov

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
MarceloMarques
Esri Regular Contributor

@CodyPatterson - in the database the "sde" user must be mapped to a schema named "sde", and the "sde" user must be mapped to a login named "sde". As you can see those 3 things must have the same name.

You can use "Contained Users" this way you do not need to create external Logins anymore. With Container Users the "sde" user can have a different password in each database, to achive this with Login you need to first map the "sde" user to the "sde" login, create the sde repository, then create a login e.g. "sde_<dbname>" and in the database map the "sde" user to the external login "sde_<dbname>", hence each login "sde_<dbname>" can have a different password.

For more best practices visit my community.esri.com blog below.

Mapping and Charting Solutions (MCS) Enterprise Da... - Esri Community

There you will find my database guide books and database template scripts for SQL Server, you can use the Production Mapping, those are generic and can be applied to any industry.

FAQ - Frequent Asked Questions

How Load Large Featureclass SQL Server Geodatabase
How to Move the SQL Server Enterprise Geodatabase with a database backup
How to Install Database Clients for ArcGIS
How to Install the SQL Server Client for ArcGIS?

I hope this helps.

| Marcelo Marques | Principal Product Engineer | Esri |
| Cloud & Database Administrator | OCP - Oracle Certified Professional |
I work with Enterprise Geodatabases since 1997.
“ I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them." Isaac Isimov
0 Kudos
CodyPatterson
Regular Contributor

Hey @MarceloMarques 

Thank you for the great resources, I will look into this and see what I can do!

Cody

0 Kudos