Create/Enable Enterprise GeoDatabase on Oracle 12.1

06-14-2018 02:26 PM
JanieCarey
New Contributor II

Do I "require" the Oracle database client 12.1 software on my workstation in order to Create/Enable Enterprise GeoDatabase on Oracle 12.1 or even to connect?  Can I not use Oracle Database Client 11.2?  If I only have 12.1 client, I cannot connect to any of my Oracle 11g databases. I am unable to connect using ArcGIS Desktop 10.5.1, it just spins when I make a simple sde connection with 11.2 client software which I prefer to use.  There has to be a way I can connect using 11.2 client with either a 11g or 12c oracle database.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
12 Replies
Asrujit_SenGupta
MVP Regular Contributor

What is the version of the 32-bit Oracle 11gR2 client on your workstation? Is it 11.2.0.4 or newer?

Oracle database requirements for ArcGIS 10.5.x—System Requirements | ArcGIS Desktop 

0 Kudos
JanieCarey
New Contributor II

I have Oracle 12.1 admin client.  I cannot connect from any 10.5.1 to any Oracle 12.1 Oracle databases.

0 Kudos
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

Are you using an Oracle instant client?

0 Kudos
George_Thompson
Esri Frequent Contributor

Do you also have a 64-bit client installed? If so, change the path to put the 32-bit client first, as a test.

--- George T.
0 Kudos
JanieCarey
New Contributor II

I am not using Pro so I do not have the 64bit client.  The 32 bit is set as the first variable in the system PATH.  I have the Oracle 12.1 admin client, not instant client.  I am able to tnsping and sqlplus into my Oracle 12.1 databases with no issues at all, it is ArcGIS Desktop 10.5.1 that is, 10.4.1 and below works with Oracle 12.1.

0 Kudos
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

What do the Connection Properties look like in ArcCatalog when you create the SDE connection (Please provide a screenshot)?

Can you revert back to an 11g Oracle Client?

I believe I was testing an Oracle 12c Client and I had issues making the connection to Oracle SDE, so I stayed with Oracle 11g Client.  My org also has now migrated to the Instant Oracle 11g client and so far it has been successful.

Do you have access to Pro to see if your Oracle 12c Client connections work better in that environment?  You would need the 64-bit Oracle Client though.

0 Kudos
JanieCarey
New Contributor II

I am using the EZCONNECT host/sid for my SDE connection.    I cannot connect using either Oracle admin client 11.2.0.4 nor 12.1.  The database has all its roles set properly too.

0 Kudos
George_Thompson
Esri Frequent Contributor

Are you getting any error messages when trying to connect and it does not work?

If so, please paste a screenshot.

--- George T.
0 Kudos
JanieCarey
New Contributor II

No logging nor errors, i simply get the spinner of death.  I even set up sdeverbose and sdeintercept to no avail, nothing nada. 

0 Kudos