Connecting to SQL Server Express on different domain from ArcCatalog

Jump to solution
11-22-2017 01:48 AM
AlessandroValra
Occasional Contributor III

Hi everyboy,

I'd like to know if one could connect to a SQL Server Express on a remote machine in a different domain from an ArcGIS Standard client using database autentication. I am asking this because in the ArcCatalog, under Database Servers->Add Database Connection I can only see the parameter of the instane of the SQL Server Express, but no credential parameters. Does it mean it only supports Windows Autentication? If it is so:

1. can you please point me to a documentation where this is stated, and
  2. how can I connect to a SQL Server Express on a different domain if possible?

I have ArcGIS Desktop Standard and ArcGIS Server Standard Workgroup 10.5.1.

In the past, I've had some problems in doing so, that's why I came here to ask.

Thanks in advance for clarifying.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Asrujit_SenGupta
MVP Regular Contributor

If I have an ArcGIS Server Workgroup, it probably means that my geodb is a workgroup, and thus that I can connect only via Add Database Server. Is it right?

No, you should be able to connect to a Workgroup gdb using the 'Add Database Connection' option as well, using both the Windows Login or the Database Authenticated Login.

If so, how would I use db autentication rather than windows autentication to connect to it? Would I be able to do that or there's no way I can do i t with a workgroup db?

Add Database Server automatically uses the Windows Login. So you can never use a Database Authenticated login while trying to connect using "Add Database Server".

Basically the below link answers your question:

Connect to a desktop or workgroup geodatabase—Help | ArcGIS Desktop 

Most people need to access and work with datasets in geodatabases, but not to perform administration tasks. If you are connecting to a desktop or workgroup geodatabase to create or work with the data in the geodatabase, you can connect using the Database Connection dialog box.

View solution in original post

6 Replies
Asrujit_SenGupta
MVP Regular Contributor

Try using the "Add Database Connection" option under the 'Database Connections', using a Database Authenticated login...

0 Kudos
AlessandroValra

Thanks for the feedback. I don't have a SQL Express on a external domain right now to test it. Mine was just a question to understand the possibilities in advance, since I've tried in the past but with no success, and I don't want to waste my time doing something that is not possible.

However, isn't the Database Connection supposed to work only for non-Express SQL Server? If it does work with Express as well, I should try it with database credentials. It would be nice if someone from ESRI would confirm/reject this scenario.

0 Kudos
Asrujit_SenGupta
MVP Regular Contributor

An Enterprise Geodatabase can be created on a SQL Server Express instance as well. So you will have to use the 'Database Connection' in that scenario to connect from ArcCatalog, without any other option.

The Add Database Server is mainly used for Desktop gdb and Workgroup gdb. It cannot be used to connect with an Enterprise gdb.

AlessandroValra

Thanks again for replying.

I am probably a bit confuse about the terminology then.

If I have an ArcGIS Server Workgroup, it probably means that my geodb is a workgroup, and thus that I can connect only via Add Database Server. Is it right?

If so, how would I use db autentication rather than windows autentication to connect to it? Would I be able to do that or there's no way I can do i t with a workgroup db?

0 Kudos
Asrujit_SenGupta
MVP Regular Contributor

If I have an ArcGIS Server Workgroup, it probably means that my geodb is a workgroup, and thus that I can connect only via Add Database Server. Is it right?

No, you should be able to connect to a Workgroup gdb using the 'Add Database Connection' option as well, using both the Windows Login or the Database Authenticated Login.

Add Database Server automatically uses the Windows Login. So you can never use a Database Authenticated login while trying to connect using "Add Database Server".

Basically the below link answers your question:

Connect to a desktop or workgroup geodatabase—Help | ArcGIS Desktop 

Most people need to access and work with datasets in geodatabases, but not to perform administration tasks. If you are connecting to a desktop or workgroup geodatabase to create or work with the data in the geodatabase, you can connect using the Database Connection dialog box.

JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor

You won't find the documentation because Esri doesn't really support it.  That said, they haven't explicitly stated they don't support it either.

The organization I work for did a large Windows Active Directory migration a couple years back.  During the transition, we had users and systems that were spread across both domains (tons of fun, let me tell you!).  For us, local PCs were configured to allow credentials from both domains to log into a machine, which made using "RunAs" to launch ArcCatalog possible.  Overall, it was a dicey workflow because the typical user would get mixed up with which sets of credentials were being used to run ArcCatalog, so they might end up exporting data to the local PC under the wrong/other set of credentials.

There are multiple ways to make what you describe work, but I strongly discourage creating a standard workflow on any of them.  Not only is the Support from Esri questionable doing this, but it is prone to causing confusion with end users, which makes for more internal support of the workflow.