Connecting to a Standby/Read-Only SQL/SDE Database

01-05-2016 06:10 PM
BobBell
New Contributor

Hi All, I'm trying to connect to a SQL/SDE database. This database is a log shipped copy of our production data used for reporting purposes. I can connect to this database via a variety of mechanisms - management studio, excel, reporting services etc. but not through Arc. I have tried using the APPLICATIONINTENT setting but I don't think that is for this purpose. Does anyone have any ideas why I am unable to connect? In running profiler I can see connecting tries to execute some stored procedures and create some temp tables under the SDE application. Perhaps this is the cause and I simply can't connect to a read-only DB? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!!

Cheers,

Bob

0 Kudos
5 Replies
MikeCusi
Occasional Contributor II

Hi,

Have you tried making a connection file using the tools,

or via

BobBell
New Contributor

Absolutely. Connecting to any other database (including the source for this read only copy) works fine.

0 Kudos
George_Thompson
Esri Frequent Contributor

Hi Bob,

I assume that you are using SQL Server for the RDBMS. It looks like it may be possible using the following documentation:

Connections to highly available SQL Server databases—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop .

But it looks like it may not be possible in SQL Server yet to just connect a read-only geodatabase. I know that it is possible to connect to a read-only in Oracle: Connections to read-only Oracle databases—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop

-George

--- George T.
AsrujitSengupta
Regular Contributor III

What error do you observe while connecting to the database?

Did you rename the database while restoring on your Instance?

DebbieBull
New Contributor II

How are your log file parameters defined?  Some configurations create tables in the Geodatabase itself (needing write access there), some write to tempdb<--this is the recommendation and the default for SQL Server.
https://desktop.arcgis.com/en/arcmap/10.4/manage-data/gdbs-in-sql-server/logfiles-sqlserver.htm

0 Kudos