Automatically update a field in an edit session

Jump to solution
02-24-2015 07:02 AM
JonathanBailey
Occasional Contributor III

Hi,

I'm looking for approaches to automatically update the value in a field using values from other fields within an edit session.

In one table, for example, I have three fields: [AD_HP], [TXT_DESIG], and [RWY_ID]. When a row in this table is edited, RWY_ID should have the value [AD_HP]  & ":" & [TXT_DESIG].

Using the Field Calculator is my fallback, as I'd prefer this to happen automatically and not have to rely on the user to remember to do this.

I've also looked at using database triggers, but this doesn't work well in a versioned geodatabase scenario.

I don't see anything in Production Mapping that might help with this.

Does anyone have other suggestions that might help?

Thanks,

Jon.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JakeSkinner
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Jonathan,

You can do this using the Attribute Assistant that is included with the Water Utility Network Editing template:

Water Utility Network Editing | ArcGIS for Local Government

Here is the associated help:

ArcGIS for Local Government 10.2

You essentially install the add-in, add the DynamicValue table to ArcMap, add a row in this table that defines your expression, and begin your edit session.  Below is example of an expression in the DynamicValue table.

screen1.png

Anytime a feature is created or the geometry modified, it executes the expression and updates the 'Acreage' field in the 'Parcels' layer within the map.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
JakeSkinner
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Jonathan,

You can do this using the Attribute Assistant that is included with the Water Utility Network Editing template:

Here is the associated help:

ArcGIS for Local Government 10.2

You essentially install the add-in, add the DynamicValue table to ArcMap, add a row in this table that defines your expression, and begin your edit session.  Below is example of an expression in the DynamicValue table.

screen1.png

Anytime a feature is created or the geometry modified, it executes the expression and updates the 'Acreage' field in the 'Parcels' layer within the map.

JonathanBailey
Occasional Contributor III

Thanks, Jake. That looks like what I need. Any information on when the 10.3 release of Attribute Assistant will be available?

Thanks,

Jon.

0 Kudos
AsrujitSengupta
Regular Contributor III

Its already available and supported with 10.3:

0 Kudos