ArcGIS Data Store or eGDB Oracle

10-27-2022 07:27 AM
JamesMorrison1
Occasional Contributor

Hello Everyone

For an up and coming project, we have to decide to put editable data in ArcGIS Data Store or eGDB Oracle. I have read all the ESRI document including the white paper Data in ArcGIS: User Managed and ArcGIS Manage and was hoping from the community people could offer some advice based on their practical experiences.

The data is quite simple. One polygon feature class (FC1). Three Tables (T).

The idea is a user can add a polygon and give it a unique extent id. This extent id will be related 1:m with information added in the other tables: FC1 will have a relationship to T1...T1...with T2...T2...with T3.

So there is a primary - foreign key relationship between FC1 and T1. T1 and T2. T2 and T3.

I hope you get the picture.

I realise that perhaps its like asking how long is a piece of string but would it be ok to put the data in ArcGIS Data Store or in or eGDB Oracle?

The data will be edited with ArcGIS Pro or Web Map with a Edit Widget.

I always thought data with relationships would best be handled in eGDB.

Advice appreciated.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
VinceAngelo
Esri Esteemed Contributor

I had a client insist we change our tiny PostgreSQL instance (which they originally required) to a high-end Oracle Exadata database deployment, and asked how may terabytes of storage we'd need. I pointed out that there was just one table, at 56Mb.  The response was, "So, will five terabytes be enough?" When I demonstrated that a file geodatabase was 75% faster then either PG or Oracle for the single simple query we needed, they were willing to knock out the database requirement entirely.

Without information on the data volumes involved, and what other utilization exists, it's hard to make a call a DataStore v. EGDB.

- V

MarceloMarques
Esri Regular Contributor

Indeed, data size matters, and also important to determine if you want to take advantage of Geodatabase functionality, e.g., geodatabase domains, subtypes, featuredatasets, topology, relationship classes, etc. and also important to find out which data will be read only (edited less frequently) and which data will be read-write (edited frequently), also have an estimate of the number of edits per featureclass/table per miniute/hour/day. This will help decide if you should use ArcGIS Server Data Store, FileGeodatabase or an Enterprise Geodatabase (Oracle/SQL Server/PostgreSQL), caveat depending on the geodatabase functionality you need then some are available in FileGeodatabase but the majority of advanced geodatabase features are only available in an Enteprise Geodatabase ( Oracle / SQL Server / PostgreSQL ). I hope this helps with this discussion.

| Marcelo Marques | Principal Product Engineer | Esri |
| Cloud & Database Administrator | OCP - Oracle Certified Professional |
I work with Enterprise Geodatabases since 1997.
“ I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them." Isaac Isimov
JamesMorrison1
Occasional Contributor

Thanks Marcelo and Vince for the feedback on the limited information I provided.

We already have Oracle eGDB and I've been working with it since 2004. So creating a new Schema in Oracle and loading the data, setting privileges etc is a 15 minute job. However, I have to provide answers to the "young guns" who come into my office with their data and say just load it into ArcGIS Data Store and with ArcGIS Experience builder we can use the Edit Widget to edit the data over a Hosted Feature Service. etc

Sorry if I sound like a database dinosaur here.....

The data itself will have very little edits perhaps 3-5 new polygon features per day. Same in the related tables. My main concern is keeping the data relationships between FC1, T1, T2 and T3 and providing constraints and validations that fields can only contain certain values.

Again thanks for your feedback to data.

0 Kudos
VinceAngelo
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Yeah, that was huge missing piece of the puzzle.  If you've already got the database and the experience, then you can enforce data standards as you see fit (as long as you're a velociraptor, you can be as dinosaur-like as you want).

- V