Annotation Class (SDE)

02-06-2018 02:24 PM
DanKerntop
New Contributor II

We have a standard annotation class in a few datasets in SDE that do not allow us to add, delete or rename the annotation classes in the properties.  However, we are able to do this in a file geodatabase.  We are using ArcMap 10.5.1.  Has anyone else had this issue and if so, how did you resolve it?  Finally, we have contacted ESRI and they are unable to provide an answer.

0 Kudos
14 Replies
Asrujit_SenGupta
MVP Regular Contributor
  • What issues do you face? Is there an error message? What is the error message, if any?
  • What configuration are you using (Database, Database version, Enterprise gdb version)?

Is the data in that Feature Dataset consumed in any services? Maybe a Lock is preventing?

If you make sure that there are no connections to the Geodatabase and then try, does it help?

If you create a copy of that same Feature Dataset, in that same Enterprise gdb, does it show the same behavior?

0 Kudos
DanKerntop
New Contributor II

We do not get an error message. It seems once we version the dataset the anno feature class the options are ‘grayed’ out.

Dan Kerntop

GIS Analyst

City of Wausau

Dept of Public Works

407 Grant St

Wausau, WI 54403

City of Wausau

Office: (715) 261-6757

Learn more about

the City of Wausau at:

www.ci.wausau.wi.us<http://www.ci.wausau.wi.us/>

0 Kudos
Asrujit_SenGupta
MVP Regular Contributor
0 Kudos
Asrujit_SenGupta
MVP Regular Contributor

Well, I checked again once, and Registering as Versioned, should not make those options Grayed Out.

As I suggested earlier, try the below:

Is the data in that Feature Dataset consumed in any services? Maybe a Lock is preventing?

If you make sure that there are no connections to the Geodatabase and then try, does it help?

DanKerntop
New Contributor II

Thanks for your reply,

The desktop and license manager are running 10.5.1

It doesn’t seem to matter if the anno feature class is in a geometric network or not or if it is verstioned-those things don’t seem to matter. However, when I stop running ArcGIS Server it allows me to change the anno classes in the anno feature class. I just don’t want to have to stop ArcGIS Server to make changes. Schema locks are bad enough in ArcGIS.

Regards,

Dan

0 Kudos
DanKerntop
New Contributor II

Yes, a lock is consuming it. When I stop running ArcGIS Server it allows me to change the anno classes in the anno feature class. I just don’t want to have to stop ArcGIS Server to make changes. Schema locks are bad enough with it. So, will I have to stop my web services every time I edit anno classes in my properties?!

Thanks for your Reply,

Dan

0 Kudos
ThomasColson
MVP Frequent Contributor

I may be wrong, but it is not possible to make schema changes while ArcGIS Server has an instance open on the feature class, despite unchecking "Maintain Schema Lock" on the service properties. You may have to consider a workflow that does not involve use of ArcGIS Server, or plan your schema changes during times of no or low service use. 

0 Kudos
Asrujit_SenGupta
MVP Regular Contributor

Connect as the Data Owner for that Anno, check locks on that particular Anno FC and disconnect only those locks. See if that hampers your other workflow\data\service and implement if you find it satisfactory.

As Thomas mentioned, you can never change the schema of a data, without an Exclusive lock on it.

0 Kudos
shan_sarkar
Occasional Contributor III

Dan,

Since you are able to create annotations for the data residing in a file geodatabase,I just wanted to confirm a few things:

1. What is the License level for ArcGIS Desktop?
  2. Did you create a map annotation or an annotation feature class?
  3. The feature class residing in the enterprise database, is it already participating in any complex relationship (e.g. Network dataset, Geometric dataset.

Regards,

~Shan

~Shan
0 Kudos